Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Vigilantism - consequences of taking the 'law' unto oneself

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Las Vegas shooting: Not road rage, but cautionary vigilante tale?
    A deadly shooting in Las Vegas was thought to be an episode of road rage among strangers. But it turns out to have been an exchange of gunfire between neighbors.

http://news.yahoo.com/las-vegas-shooting-not-road-rage-cautionary-vigilante-145548984.html [Broken]
    A trend of increasing extra-judicial resolutions to conflicts is troubling. I'm concerned that it will result in a less safe environment.

As if 'stand your ground' isn't enough already.

Some additional background on the story
    http://news.yahoo.com/road-rage-mistaken-identity-questions-raised-vegas-case-091610459.html [Broken]
    Police are looking for another suspect, possibly an acquaintance of Nowsch.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Yeah this was very disturbing. Why try to confront the aggressive teen knowing he had a weapon and bringing your son along with a weapon too?

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

Astronuc

From what I've read, the story is confusing and the progression of events is unclear. There seems to be a missing person of interest who may have been involved.

But clearly, Mrs. Meyers should have called police and waited at home.

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Yes it was said that she tried to help this troubled teen but couldn't reach him.

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I first heard this story, it was being reported as "an innocent mother shot as she came home from teaching her teenage daughter to drive". I thought that it was a terribly tragic story of murderous road rage.

A few days later it was reported that her son exchanged fire in the driveway. I thought that was an odd coincidence that he just happened to be in the driveway with a gun when the incident occurred.

Only after they captured Nowsch did more information start to come out that she wasn't as innocent as first reported. Now the reports are that she dropped off her daughter, picked up her son and his gun, and went looking for Nowsch. The police say that there were two shooting incidents - one of which occurred while they were driving around with a gun. There are also reports that the family knew who the shooter was for the entire week and didn't tell police.

I'll wait for the movie to come out and won't believe that either. ?:)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook