Violation in diffraction? Lagrange (Optical) invariant

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between radiance and etendue, and how they are not the same thing. The optical invariant states that etendue is conserved in an optical system, but this does not mean that the value is the same everywhere. The examples provided in the conversation show that the angle of radiance can increase while still focusing more light into the same area, but this does not violate the L rule. The difference between radiance and etendue is also highlighted, and the conversation ends with an explanation of how underfilling the back aperture of a lens can affect the spot size of the focused light.
valeriy2222
It says you can not change with lenses the value L - radiance. Below I have an example where it proves that you can or where am I wrong? (I made L for 2D case, in 3D case everything the same - L2>L1)
?temp_hash=7d2956fe9d4212110779fb8a98049a30.jpg

Attachments

• notebook_texture2465.jpg
    notebook_texture2465.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,361
Science news on Phys.org
You cannot change it from left to right with a lense, but different setups can have different values of course.

well, lagrange invariant says you can not.

valeriy2222 said:
It says you can not change with lenses the value L - radiance. Below I have an example where it proves that you can or where am I wrong? (I made L for 2D case, in 3D case everything the same - L2>L1)

I don't understand what you are trying to show. The optical invariant (or etendue) can be written a few different ways, but it is the product of aperture stop and numerical aperture of the system. The etendue can always decrease (for example, by stopping down a lens), but never increase- one way to show this is to calculate the determinant of the ABCD matrix of the optical system: for a thin lens, it equals 1, showing that etendue is conserved in this case. Are you trying to demonstrate something by connecting the two lenses into a beam concentrator/expander?

Perhaps you are confusing 'radiance' and 'etendue'- they are not the same thing. Etendue/optical throughput/optical invariant is a geometrical property of the system, while radiance is a property of spatially extended emitters.

valeriy2222 said:
well, lagrange invariant says you can not.
"Something is conserved/invariant" does not mean "this has the same value everywhere, for all setups".
Energy is conserved, but a truck on a highway still has a larger energy than a snail moving across a road.

And I agree with Andy Resnick, I don't understand what your setups are supposed to show.

Andy Resnick said:
I don't understand what you are trying to show.

you focus some light (Watt) in a specific area (m2) and get a angle of radiance(sr - steradian). Then if you want at least the same amount of light into a smaller area the angle of radiance must increase. That's the Etendue/optical throughput/optical invariant. However, in the examples I have provided, I focus more light in the same area with the same angle thus breaking the L rule or what am I missing?

valeriy2222 said:
Then if you want at least the same amount of light into a smaller area the angle of radiance must increase.
If the light source is the same - it is not in your setups. And only if your focussing is ideal.
Also, where is the area?

valeriy2222 said:
you focus some light (Watt) in a specific area (m2) and get a angle of radiance(sr - steradian). Then if you want at least the same amount of light into a smaller area the angle of radiance must increase. That's the Etendue/optical throughput/optical invariant. However, in the examples I have provided, I focus more light in the same area with the same angle thus breaking the L rule or what am I missing?

I think you are mixing concepts- radiometry and ray optics, specifically. To be sure, a single 'ray' is associated with radiance, but if you are talking about collections of rays you have to be careful. For example, if a single ray enters through the entrance pupil and exits through the exit pupil, then the radiance is conserved (for that ray)- if there is vignetting, then the integrated radiance (luminous flux) is no longer conserved.

Ok- you have some luminous flux that passes through a lens: we should be talking in terms of irradiance (W/m^2) and intensity (W/sr). Then there's a second surface that the light is incident upon. Certainly, the irradiance incident on that second surface can be much higher than the irradiance of the initial optical field. However, say the second surface is underfilled by the incident light. You don't magically increase anything; in fact, if the second surface is a lens, you don't access the full optical power of the lens and can't focus the light down any further than you did previously.

Think of it this way- I have a microscope objective and fully illuminate the back aperture. Then, the light is focused down as normal- the spot size is (approximately) given by Abbe's formula. However, if I underfill the back aperture, the spot size is larger than Abbe's formula specifies because I don't access the full numerical aperture of the lens. In the limit that I illuminate the back aperture with a single ray, a single ray emerges from the lens and is not focused at all.

Does that help?

1. What is the Lagrange (Optical) invariant?

The Lagrange (Optical) invariant is a mathematical value used in optics to describe the behavior of light waves. It is defined as the product of the refractive index of a medium and the sine of the angle between the incident and refracted rays.

2. How is the Lagrange (Optical) invariant related to diffraction?

The Lagrange (Optical) invariant is related to diffraction because it is used to determine the amount of diffraction that occurs when light passes through a diffracting element, such as a grating or a slit. It helps to predict the spacing and intensity of the diffraction pattern.

3. What is violation in diffraction?

Violation in diffraction refers to a situation where the Lagrange (Optical) invariant is not conserved, meaning that the value of the invariant changes as light passes through a diffracting element. This can occur when the light beam is not fully collimated, or when the diffracting element is not perfectly aligned.

4. What causes violation in diffraction?

Violation in diffraction can be caused by several factors, including imperfect alignment of the diffracting element, variations in the refractive index of the medium, or non-uniformities in the incident beam of light. It can also be influenced by the size and shape of the diffracting element, as well as the wavelength of the incident light.

5. How can violation in diffraction be minimized?

To minimize violation in diffraction, it is important to carefully align the diffracting element and ensure that the incident beam of light is as collimated as possible. Using a smaller diffracting element or a shorter wavelength of light can also help to reduce violation in diffraction. Additionally, using a medium with a more uniform refractive index can also help to minimize the effects of violation in diffraction.