Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Violence in the chem lab this week

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbl9HOrXrN5zLTpmFDu7ZnL88vTgD9B80NL80 [Broken]

And it seems nobody has a clue about the motive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

man, haven't you ever had lab partners that you just wanted to...

oh, nevermind...

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you just sometimes get unstable students admitted to universities, and some of the pressures of their first year just lead to them snapping.

Now I'm considering myself lucky that I was only stuck with a pyromaniac at the bench next to me in chem lab!

I'm glad to hear the victim is recovering.

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    wow, young asian women are really getting the short end of the stick lately. weird.

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It seems that the perpetrator snapped.

I've heard of similar incidents in the past. It's pretty random. Some individuals just snap - like the tech assistant at Yale who murdered the grad student.

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

oh boy, looks like I’m in a big trouble! I just had my first physics lab, and it was good. but if things gonna turn out that way…man
    did someone mention murder:bugeye:

8. Oct 10, 2009 #7
    There was also a UCI grad student who shot and killed his ex-wife just recently. Seems a lot of intelligent people are taken to violence lately.

9. Oct 10, 2009 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

citations plz :biggrin:

10. Oct 10, 2009 #9
  11. Oct 10, 2009 #10

Pythagorean

Gold Member

12. Oct 10, 2009 #11
    hahahahah @ quote edit.

Thats crazy though at least she is expected to make a full recovery. Makes you wonder bout that person you got partnered up with though.

13. Oct 10, 2009 #12
    Its not only the students who snap under pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzBy6agXKoA

:biggrin:

14. Oct 10, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What was that one with the guy in the elevator? Was that a police officer and did he go for his gun or was it just a security guard and he went for pepper spray or something??? that was sweeeeeet

15. Oct 10, 2009 #14
    LMAFO ROOT WOW that was probably some of the funniest things I've ever seen like at 4 minutes hahaha wow. Great find man.

16. Oct 11, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, while I think Pythagorean's comment may have been made in jest, perhaps it's not far from the truth. We don't know very much about the perpetrator, other than his family seemed to think he got easily stressed. Maybe it IS because he's not the brightest student and was struggling too much with his classes that he was feeling more stress than usual. Nonetheless, I think there still needs to be an underlying mental illness. Sometimes it's the stress of classes that triggers an illness to become much more apparent. Usually the underlying illnesses aren't this severe, but from time to time, it happens.

I sometimes wonder if part of the apparent increase in such incidents is related to the increasing pressure for "everyone" to attend college, even when they may not be very strong students. The more people you push into situations that induce high levels of stress, the more likely it is that you'll find the ones that snap under that pressure. In the past, kids like that wouldn't have gotten into college; they'd have just taken their civil service exam and gone to work for the post office. :wink:

17. Oct 12, 2009 #16
    "Nonetheless, I think there still needs to be an underlying mental illness."

Does the use of violence imply mental illness? If so, how does one define mental illness?

18. Oct 12, 2009 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Not violence itself. It's more about what triggers the violence and how easily its triggered.

Officially:

I think the underlying theme is that they there is abnormal development involved. Here's an interesting talk that talks about the correlation of brain damage with serial killers:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jim_fallon_exploring_the_mind_of_a_killer.html

So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "broken brain" often associated with mental disorders, whether it's problems with the way hormones are being delivered or actual physical damage itself.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if there's classifications of mental disorder that don't have a particular physical symptom associated with it.

I think inevitably, the most important thing is that your behavior isn't disrupting the safety and well-being of yourself and others. There's likely people with mental disorders that will never see a doctor or know they have a disorder because they've somehow found a way to cope with (or make use of) their abnormalities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook