Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virgin Mary

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    Happened to go to a group of fundamental pentecostal families for a music night, where we spent the evening singing pop songs. We were singing a few devotional songs too, as expected. I randomly sang a virgin Mary devotional song, and everyone started looking at me as if I spoke some profanity. It was kind of interesting to watch how people are fine with killing each other in a war (since it's God's plan), but gets easily offended by mentioning virgin Mary's name.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    I think that she is more of a catholic thing. They seem less bothered by hints of idolatry. I am not familiar enough to know if there as any particular reason pentecostals would have an issue with it.

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    What's a pentecostal? 5 costals?

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4
    Yeah pentecostal people HATE catholics because they pray requesting virgin mary to 'forward' the message to god.

6. Jun 15, 2010 #5
    I think a pentecostal would have issue with the use of the word "virgin" spoken in a song. It emplies sex (or a lack of it). Also they really don't like catholics...

Now if it had been an old Christmas song instead of a pop song they probably would not have had any issues. Also did you just say "virgin Mary" or did you say something about her that could be taken as disrespectful.

I dated a pentecostal briefly. That was really interested.

I still remember to this day a botched conversation.

Her: "I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm not married by 25"

Me:(Without thinking)"I don't know what I'm going to do if I am married by 25."

I guess it worked out for her. She got married to an immature moron at the age of 19.

7. Jun 15, 2010 #6
    It was an old church song that I used to sing in my childhood. There was no disrespect involved.

Pentecostals believe virgin birth is absurd. They only believe in a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

8. Jun 15, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, this is going against our religious posting guidelines.

Closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook