Virginia Speed Limit Increase: Potential Penalties & Call to Action

In summary: Well, fortunately, that's not how it works in the real world. Honestly, I wouldn't want a police state...
Cyrus said:
REALLY!? I always went :rolleyes: to those signs. Did you get a ticket from a helicopter/airplane? This I have to hear.
I always considered it a bluff too: I can't imagine how many $100 fines an hour they would have to issue to pay for a light plane or helicopter!

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I always considered it a bluff too: I can't imagine how many $100 fines an hour they would have to issue to pay for a light plane or helicopter!

Duh, that's why they use spare hellfire rockets, then sieze your estate. :smile:

Cyrus said:
REALLY!? I always went :rolleyes: to those signs. Did you get a ticket from a helicopter/airplane? This I have to hear.

No a friend did. The planes radio down to a group of around 10 cops down the road who are waiting to actually issue the tickets.

Last edited:
DavidSnider said:
No a friend did. The planes radio down to a group of around 10 cops down the road who are waiting to actually issue the tickets.

That is badass.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/03/AR2007010301725.html

Signs warning drivers about speed-detecting aircraft are planted along the region's interstates. But the unit had only nine missions resulting in 111 tickets statewide in 2004, compared with 48 missions and almost 70 tickets when aerial enforcement began in 2002. From January to October 2006, the unit flew 31 missions and issued 437 tickets, not including the 23 reckless driving citations issued on a recent Saturday when only those traveling faster than 80 mph were targeted.

russ_watters said:

About two or three, per hour!

DavidSnider said:

I fight your source, with a counter source!

At its peak, Virginia State Police issued around 2,145 tickets per year as a result of the aerial enforcement program. However, since then, the numbers have been declining. As it costs about $90/hour to keep the Cessnas staffed and maintained, Virginia has decided to suspend the aerial enforcement program as a result of millions of dollars in budget cuts which have also forced the closure of the Manassas, Virginia airport and the sale of one of its planes.

http://www.vapersonalinjuryaccidentattorney.com/library/virginia-ends-aerial-speed-enforcement-program.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: