Visual Quantum Mechanics: Benefits for Modern Physics

• Thread starter brent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics workshop on Visual Quantum Mechanics and its relation to the course Modern Physics. The workshop covers topics such as semiconductors and e=hf, explaining the relationship between energy and frequency of a photon. The concept of n and p types of semiconductors is also discussed, and the conversation touches on Planck's constant and its role in quantum mechanics. The participants are gaining a better understanding of the workshop topics and looking forward to the last day.
brent
Hello,
I'm currently helping (I'm the teacher's assistant) with a physics workshop at my college and I haven't even had the course that my teacher says that it will help me in. The workshop is entitled "Visual Quantum Mechanics" and we (me and the teachers that are taking the workshop) have learned a lot in the first day of the workshop, but I was just wondering how this will help me with a course entitled Modern Physics? We are studying how LEDs work right now, but I would have thought that maybe this was just a general physics topic. Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Semiconductors are considered 'modern physics', explainable as they are by quantum mechanics (in a nutshell - wavelength of emitted lightis directly related to the band gap between the p and n type semiconductors that make up the diode).

Consider it a real-life demonstration of e=hf.

e=hf? also, we covered some more today and I am definitely getting the hang of it. I can understand how energy is related to the band gap, but we haven't gotten to the section entitled "Waves of Matter" so I think if we get there I will have a solid grasp on things.

Also, what's the p and n types of semiconductors? That wasn't covered in this workshop. It's more for just the concepts I think.

Thanks again!

Well, can, worms, truly opened!

e=hf describes the relationship between the energy and frequency of a photon. So, higher frequency, higher energy (think X-Rays are considered 'dangerous' whereas visible light generally isn't)

In a semiconductor, n and p type describe a doping process that is applied to the semiconductor to produce excess electrons or holes respectively. By placing n and p type next to each other, a diode is formed as if a current is applied in one direction, these free electrons and holes can 'flow' to the opposite side of the junction (think electrostatics), but if a current is applied in the other direction, no electrons or holes can flow as they are being 'attracted' in the wrong direction, and very few electrons and holes will be produced at the np junction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor gives a much better explanation than I can in a short space, although is rather more verbose.

Okay, today we're finishing up Solids and Gases, and I'm guessing by n and p you are talking about the pure substance (a semiconductor) that is almost split with two different types of impurities (not sure right now but it said something about one being a donor and one being an acceptor) and when they combine and a voltage is applied in the correct way (so that the acceptor gains enough electrons to connect with the donor) the diode is formed?

By e=hf I was wondering what those variables are. Like I know e=Energy but h=? and f=frequency?

Thanks again!

brent said:
Okay, today we're finishing up Solids and Gases, and I'm guessing by n and p you are talking about the pure substance (a semiconductor) that is almost split with two different types of impurities (not sure right now but it said something about one being a donor and one being an acceptor) and when they combine and a voltage is applied in the correct way (so that the acceptor gains enough electrons to connect with the donor) the diode is formed?

By e=hf I was wondering what those variables are. Like I know e=Energy but h=? and f=frequency?

Thanks again!

e is energy as you guessed. f is the frequency (of what? Big question), and h is Planck's constant, a very small number* with the dimensions of energy times time, so when you multiply it by the frequency, dimension one over time, you get the dimensions of energy. The point is that the energy is proportional to the frequency, not the intensity. This is somewhat counterintuitive but it lies at the very heart of quantum mechanics. It was discovered by Einstein in the same year, 1905, that he discovered relativity and e = mc^2.

If we take the frequency to be the frequency of an electromagnetic wave for the moment, then this says the em wave interacts in h-sized chunks, called quanta (plural of quantum, you can take the scientist out of the Latin class, but you can't take the Latin class out of the scientist).

A notation comment. Often you will see this frequency equation with the Greek letter nu insttead of f for the frequency, thus: [tex]e = h\nu[/tex]. Don't let it throw you, it's the same equation.

*About 6.64 X 10^-34 Joule seconds,if I remember right.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
It was discovered by Einstein in the same year, 1905, that he discovered relativity and e = mc^2.

Discovered? Or invented...hehe!

masudr said:
Discovered? Or invented...hehe!

He invented the idea, in the same way that Benz invented the carburetor, and he discovered the fact that it explains the photoelectric effect.

Hey thanks so much selfAdjoint!

I think I got it now. I think today we might actual get to that equation in some sort of fashion. Tomorrow's the last day sadly :(

Related to Visual Quantum Mechanics: Benefits for Modern Physics

What is visual quantum mechanics?

Visual quantum mechanics is a branch of quantum mechanics that uses visual representations, such as diagrams and animations, to explain complex quantum phenomena. It aims to make the concepts and principles of quantum mechanics more accessible and intuitive for both scientists and non-scientists.

What are the benefits of using visual quantum mechanics?

There are several benefits of using visual quantum mechanics in modern physics. Firstly, it allows for a better understanding of abstract quantum concepts, such as superposition and entanglement, by providing visual aids. It also helps in visualizing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which can be challenging to do using mathematical equations alone. Additionally, visual quantum mechanics can aid in the development of new theories and models, as it allows for easier exploration and manipulation of quantum systems.

How does visual quantum mechanics differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

In traditional quantum mechanics, the concepts and principles are explained using mathematical equations and abstract concepts. On the other hand, visual quantum mechanics uses visual representations to convey the same information. This makes it more accessible and intuitive for individuals who may struggle with the mathematical aspect of traditional quantum mechanics.

What are some examples of visual quantum mechanics in use?

Visual quantum mechanics has been used in various areas of modern physics, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum biology. For example, visual models have been used to explain the principles of quantum computing and how quantum algorithms work. In quantum cryptography, visual aids have been used to explain the concept of quantum key distribution. Additionally, visual quantum mechanics has been used in the study of photosynthesis and how quantum effects play a role in this process.

What are some potential challenges or limitations of visual quantum mechanics?

One of the main challenges of visual quantum mechanics is the potential for oversimplification. While visual aids can be helpful in understanding complex concepts, they may also lead to a superficial understanding of quantum phenomena. Additionally, visual representations may not always accurately represent the true behavior of quantum systems, which can be misleading. Therefore, it is essential to use visual quantum mechanics alongside traditional mathematical approaches to gain a complete understanding of quantum mechanics.