Where to Find B12 Vitamin in Vegetables

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
In summary, vegetables are not a good source of vitamin B12 except for fermented soy products like tempeh, seaweed, and spirulina, which have insufficient amounts to meet daily needs. While the body can store B12 for years, a vegan diet without vitamin supplementation may eventually lead to a deficiency. Taking B12 supplements once a week or consuming yeast extract products like Marmite and Vegemite can help prevent this. Additionally, increasing B-12 intake may have benefits for energy and muscle health, especially for those with physically demanding lifestyles.
tumor
From what vegetables can I get enough B12 vitamin?

Biology news on Phys.org
No vegetable is a good source of vitamin B12. The only exception might be fermented soy product (Tempeh) since bacteria synthesise vitamin B12 as a by-product. Seaweed and spirulina could be none animal option but again the amount of B12 in these product are insufficient to provide enough for healthy people.

I have heard that body can store B12 for a long time(years),I'm vegan for about 8 years and my diet otherwise is preety good but I don't take any vitamin suplemments,none.Am I in trouble? :frown:

tumor said:
I have heard that body can store B12 for a long time(years)

Yes the body can store B12 for years but eventually you might run out if your diet does not have sufficient amount of vitamin added. Also, you could have sufficient amount of B12 which provided to you by your gut microflora, depending the species present. You probably do not have to take B12 everyday but once week would be a good idea. Alternatively you could take yeast extract based product such as Marmite and Vegemite.

I wonder how good the yeast extract we use to make media for human consumption.

If you are working out, or do work that is physical, you will not regret the B-12 (or a B-complex) increase. Energy stays higher, muscles not as tired and/or sore. The body will regulate the level you need, so don't worry about higher than RDA %.

TRoc

1. Where can I find B12 vitamin in vegetables?

B12 vitamin is not naturally found in vegetables. It is primarily found in animal products such as meat, dairy, and eggs. However, some fortified plant-based foods such as cereals and non-dairy milks may contain B12.

2. Are there any vegetables that contain B12 vitamin?

No, there are no vegetables that naturally contain B12 vitamin. However, some types of seaweed, such as nori and kombu, may contain small amounts of B12. It is important to note that these sources may not be reliable and should not be relied upon as the main source of B12.

3. Is it possible to get enough B12 from a vegetarian or vegan diet?

Yes, it is possible to get enough B12 from a vegetarian or vegan diet by incorporating fortified foods or taking B12 supplements. It is important for vegetarians and vegans to pay attention to their B12 intake to prevent deficiency.

4. How much B12 should I consume daily?

The recommended daily intake of B12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms per day. However, this may vary for individuals with certain medical conditions or dietary restrictions. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate amount of B12 for your specific needs.

5. Can I get B12 from organic or non-fortified vegetables?

No, organic or non-fortified vegetables do not contain B12. B12 is only found in animal products or fortified foods. If you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, it is important to incorporate fortified foods or take B12 supplements to ensure adequate intake of this essential vitamin.