Voltage and Frequency Regulation (Grid, synchronous generation)

In summary, the frequency of a generator is controlled by adjusting the input power to the turbine to maintain a constant operating frequency. When there is an increase in power demand, the entire grid slows down and generators must make adjustments to bring the frequency back to normal. This information is further discussed in the upcoming release of "Ac Power Analysis Part 2" on Physics Forums.
LagCompensator
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me understand and explain to me how one can control the frequency of the grid from help of the active power (frequency -> power angle -> active power) and how reactive power can be used to control the voltage level.

My thoughts:
Voltage Control:
I don't have any clear thoughts.

Frequency Control:
The frequency of the generator is connected to how fast the turbine is rotating, so in order to keep close to constant frequency one has to change the input power to the turbine, so that the generator can speed up/down in order to stay at operating frequency.
(If the power demand increases the generator slows down, and if it decreases the generator speeds up.)

Thank you,

Best Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Read ac power analysis part 2, to be published today or tomorrow.

The quick answer is that if the demand increases, the entire grid slows down, until controls bring it back. Generators must all make the same frequency in the steady state.

Thank you, I'll read ac power analysis part 2 when it gets published.

What is voltage regulation in the context of the power grid?

Voltage regulation is the process of maintaining a consistent and stable voltage level in the power grid. This is important because variations in voltage can lead to damage in electrical equipment and can cause power outages.

How is voltage regulated in the power grid?

Voltage regulation in the power grid is typically achieved through the use of automatic voltage regulators (AVRs). These devices continuously monitor the voltage level and make adjustments to the system in order to maintain a stable voltage.

What is frequency regulation in the power grid?

Frequency regulation is the process of maintaining a constant frequency in the power grid. In most countries, the standard frequency for the power grid is 60 Hz. Any deviation from this frequency can cause issues with electrical equipment and can lead to power outages.

How is frequency regulated in the power grid?

Frequency regulation is achieved through the use of governors on synchronous generators, which are responsible for adjusting the output of the generator in response to changes in demand and supply. Additionally, power plants can also use frequency-responsive systems to help regulate the frequency of the grid.

Why is voltage and frequency regulation important in synchronous generation?

Voltage and frequency regulation are important in synchronous generation because these parameters must be kept within a narrow range in order for the generators to operate efficiently. Any fluctuations in voltage or frequency can lead to issues with the generators and can also impact the stability of the power grid.