Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage behavior in UG cables and OH 11 KV distribution lines

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    i want to know the behavior of voltage in 11 KV underground and OH distribution line at different load conditions i.e. no load-full load ....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

your question is quite vague .... what type of behaviour are you referring to/wanting to know about ?

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    I meant the change in voltage and other parameters i.e. inductance, capacitance etc in case of different loading like no load , partial loading or full load, and what measures can be taken to prevent any such change .

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

You want to regulate voltage on cables and OH lines. You need to consult with a power engineer, or to study power system analysis enough to do your own engineering.

Answer to questions such as the OP are unlikely to be complete enough to make good choices.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5
    Thank u i am trying ....

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

that's not a one afternoon subject.
    On the other hand, it's just the laws of Kirchoff and Ohm ......

First one learns the vocabulary
    next the basic physical concepts
    then the "shorthand" that designers employ to keep the calculations manageable.

As with any field of study It'll take time to become fluent.

One might start here:
    http://www.electricalmanuals.net/files/APP-MANUALS/GE/GET-1008L.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Apr 15, 2015 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One obvious difference between overhead and underground cabling will be the Capacity between the conductors. This can have a very significant effect on very long runs, due to phase shift (/power factor).

9. Apr 15, 2015 #8

Hesch

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook