1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage difference and distance between wires

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, ZPlayer.

Your diagram is meaningless, because it contains no information about what the lines mean. If you post a homework question here:

1) You must post the entire question, exactly as it was given to you.
    2) You must post in the correct forum (not this one).
    3) You must show your work and explain where you are stuck. Only then will you receive help.

- Warren

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    Basically my question is the following. Suppose the positive and negative poles of DC source are connected to wires. If the distance between wires increases, will the potential difference between the wires decrease?

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Does the circuit setup consist only of wires? Are these wires treated as ideal wires, with zero resistance? Do you want to take inductance into account? I don't know the assumptions you're making in the circuit setup, so clearly the answer to your question will depend on what you assume.

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    Yeah, basically I was thinking about ideal wires (R == 0.) The question is whether potential difference between any two given points on the circuit will change in case if these points are moved further (or closer) apart without disrupting the configuration of the circuit.

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

If you're using ideal wires, then clearly the distance in between the wires doesn't change anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?