Yet another Wheatstone bridge with thermistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit involving a thermistor and op-amps, with a question about determining the voltages at different points in the circuit. The conversation also touches on the importance of correctly calculating input and output voltages and the relevance of basic electronics in other fields such as control systems.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So I got a thermistor here and am told that in the range 0-80 celsius the thermistor's resistance is given by Rt = R0 - kT ...whereas R0 = 100 ohms which is the thermistor resistance at 0 celsius. k = 0.5 kohms/celsius. T is of course temperature. The op-amps are ideal and their supply voltages are 15 volts

Question: The measured temperature is 80 deg celsius. What re the voltages in V1 an V2.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/80/circuit1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my logic, V1 has to be 12 volts

Since V+ = V- = V1

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8282/loopex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FP.

Can you check the values you've posted for Ro and k for the thermistor? 100 Ω seems a bit low for a starting resistance, and .5 kΩ/C seems awfully large if Ro is so small -- the thermistor would be showing negative resistance after about 0.2 °C. This is not physically possible. I think your Ro should be something like 100 kΩ.

Next, you should recall the "rules of thumb" for op-amps. How much current does an op-amp input draw?

I agree with Gneill. Your equation indicates that over the range 0 - 80 the resistance of the thermistor decreases by 500ohms/degree. I also think that your starting resistance is probably 100kohms, not 100ohms

You're right, it's 100k, I miswrote.

The op-amp draw 0 current, because of an infinite internal resistance! :) which is why I allowed myself to make a loop there. Perhaps I've forgotten elementary electronics already. I think I should just use the Wheatstone Bridge equation to solve it though

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/672/solutttt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should determine V1 and V2 separately. After all, they are independent of each other, and determined by separate voltage dividers. They won't be equal in value except for a very particular value of RT.

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
The op-amp draw 0 current, because of an infinite internal resistance! :)

That's right, which means it's like they aren't there :) They sample the voltage but don't affect the circuit in any way.

For your analysis you've offset the input voltages by subtracting 6V from each, yet you've left the output unshifted at 12V. That's going to produce incorrect results.

Rather than trying to force the circuit into a form for which you've memorized the gain formula, you can directly analyze the circuit as given without too much trouble.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54922&stc=1&d=1358862041.gif

Notice that you have the potentials at either end of the 1 kΩ resistor. So what is I? You've also got the potentials at either end of R2...

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 859
ah...easier than I thought.
I1 = 1.5/1000
VR2 = 12-7.5 =4.5V
R2 = VR2 / I1

I forget my basic electronics sometimes, I didn't think it would come in handy in control systems! Who'd thunk it.

Much obliged gneill, sorry for the long delay :)

Femme_physics said:
ah...easier than I thought.
I1 = 1.5/1000
VR2 = 12-7.5 =4.5V
R2 = VR2 / I1
That'll do it :approve:
I forget my basic electronics sometimes, I didn't think it would come in handy in control systems! Who'd thunk it.
Devilishly pervasive this electronic stuff :smile:
Much obliged gneill, sorry for the long delay :)
No worries. Always happy to help.

1. What is a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is a type of electrical circuit used to measure unknown resistance by comparing it to a known resistance. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a power source connected to opposite corners and a voltmeter connected to the other two corners.

2. What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance changes with temperature. It is often used in electronic circuits to measure and control temperature.

3. How does a Wheatstone bridge with thermistor work?

In a Wheatstone bridge with a thermistor, the variable resistance of the thermistor is used to balance the bridge circuit. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor changes, causing an imbalance in the bridge. This imbalance can be measured and used to calculate the temperature.

4. What are the advantages of using a Wheatstone bridge with thermistor?

One advantage of using a Wheatstone bridge with thermistor is that it is a highly sensitive and accurate method for measuring temperature. It also has a wide temperature range and can be easily calibrated for different applications.

5. What are some common applications of a Wheatstone bridge with thermistor?

Wheatstone bridges with thermistors are commonly used in temperature sensing and control systems, such as in thermostats, ovens, and refrigerators. They are also used in medical devices, environmental monitoring, and industrial processes that require precise temperature control.