Voltage divider using capacitor question

In summary, the tube needs 13 volts across it at 0.725 amps current, but using the first method gives a different answer because the resistance of the filament is considered instead of the heater's equivalent resistance. The second method using the imaginary part of a complex number gives the same answer.
bitrex
I'm calculating the size of a capacitance I need to drop a certain voltage at a certain current for a tube filament, and doing it two different ways gives two different answers. For example:

Tube needs 13 volts across it at 0.725 amps current. I pretend that the tube's heater is a resistance with an equivalent resistance of 17.93 Ohms. I then do a calculation to see what size capacitor I need to give the required current from the 120 volt line.

[tex]120 V = 0.725 A * 165.5 Ohms [/tex]

I want the vector sum of the capacitive reactance and resistance of the tube heater to equal this..

[tex] \sqrt{17.93^2 + X_c^2} = 165.5[/tex]

[tex]X_c = 164.5[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi (60)(C)} = 164.5[/tex]

So C is equal to about 16 uF.

Now I do it this way: I assume the resistance of the filament is the same at 17.93 Ohms, and I calculate the capacitance I need for a voltage divider to give 13 volts from the 120 volt line across the tube.

[tex]\frac{17.93}{X_c + 17.93}*120 = 13[/tex]

When I do it this way, the capacitive reactance is equal to about 148 ohms, and I get about 18 microfarads as the size of the capacitor needed. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the reason for the difference is and where I've gone wrong in my thinking? Or maybe there's just roundoff error?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. The second method is invalid. You can't add vectors like that unless they at the same phase angle and these are at right angles to each other.

Your first method shows you know how to do it. Much better :)

I see my mistake now. I think the second method would work also if I made sure to treat the reactance of the capacitor as the imaginary part of a complex number and then took the magnitude of the equation to get the voltage division ratio. I should know better! :D

1. What is a voltage divider using capacitor?

A voltage divider using capacitor is a circuit that uses a combination of resistors and capacitors to divide a voltage into smaller parts. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate voltage levels and provide stable power supply.

2. How does a voltage divider using capacitor work?

A voltage divider using capacitor works by utilizing the properties of resistors and capacitors to create a voltage divider. The resistors act as fixed resistances while the capacitors act as variable resistances, allowing the output voltage to be adjusted based on the values chosen for the components.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage divider using capacitor?

One advantage of using a voltage divider using capacitor is that it is a simple and cost-effective way to regulate voltage levels. It also provides a stable output voltage, even when the input voltage fluctuates. Additionally, it can be easily adjusted to achieve different output voltages.

4. What are the limitations of a voltage divider using capacitor?

One limitation of using a voltage divider using capacitor is that it is sensitive to changes in temperature, which can affect the output voltage. It also has a limited range of output voltages that can be achieved, depending on the values of the components used.

5. How can I calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider using capacitor?

The output voltage of a voltage divider using capacitor can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin x (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 and R2 are the values of the resistors, and Vout is the output voltage. The values of the capacitors can also be taken into account in the calculation if they are not negligible.