Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage Increase through Induction

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    I am new to the field and have stumbled across an issue. The current project I am working on is requiring me to calculate how many windings I need to increase voltage in a system from 12v to ~400v. The Initial winding will be fed from a 0 A.W.G. braided copper wire and the outgoing feed will, ideally, be a 8 A.W.G. braided copper wire. Is there a formula that can enable me to acquire this calculation.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

If you are talking about AC, then the voltages ratio with the number of turns for each winding.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    The system would run on DC.

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4
    A transformer sadly only works for AC since you need a time-varying magnetic field for electromagnetic induction.

For what you're asking, you need a DC-DC step-up converter.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, and from the sound of the size of wire and the high output voltage, this will be one BIG DC-DC converter.

@mmaresco -- since you say that you don't have experience with this, you are not going to be able to design and build such a converter. Not to mention that your 400V output voltage will make the whole setup quite dangerous. Why are you being asked to look into this? What is the application?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook