Voltage output pressure transducer ?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a mechanical engineering student's project involving control systems and regenerative braking. The student is using a pressure transducer attached to a foot pedal to send a signal to an electro-mechanical actuator, which engages a clutch and enables an electric motor to generate electricity and apply braking force. The student is using Simulink for simulation but needs formulas and information on pressure transducers to calibrate the system. There will be some variation in output and accuracy depending on the transducer used, with cheaper ones having less performance. There was also a suggestion to use a micro switch instead of a pressure transducer.
hitman2hire
Hi everyone !

I am new here. I am currently a mechanical engineering student who's doing a project involving control systems and regenerative braking. So far my system of parts include a Pressure transducer attached to a foot pedal. When the brakes are applied the pressure transducer will send a signal to alert a linear electro-mechanical actuator to engage a clutch which will in turn enable an electric motor to start generating electricity and due to its electrical load also apply some sort of braking force. I am currently using Simulink to create a simulation of what would be happening, however i need to know some formula's before hand.

I have a question regarding Pressure Transducers and wanted to know if there is any formula or method on how to calculate amount of voltage generated say from the pressure transducer fitted to a brake pedal. I also don't even have any clue on how much pressure is typically generated by someone applying his foot on the brake pedal of a car while braking. My main aim is to somewhat calibrate a brake pedal pressure transducer to the amount of voltage (can also be current) generated. The voltage will be fed to a controller and if it happens to exceed a certain pressure limit braking will occur. Oh also the pressure transducer i will be using would be a Voltage (or current) output Pressure transducer.

Please would anyone be able to post me any sort of feed back on this, anything would be helpfull, thanks in advance =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The output will depend on the transducer. There will be some that have different ranges of output as well as certain percentages of inaccuracy. A typical output level is 0-10V full scale. A typical inaccuracy is on the order of 1-5% full scale reading. Obviously the cheaper the transducer, the less performance and accuracy you will get.

If you are using a actuator to engage a clutch it is not clear what the advantage of a analog sensor at the brake is. Could you not accomplish the same thing easier with a mirco switch?

Btw, the output is typically linear.

What is a voltage output pressure transducer?

A voltage output pressure transducer is a type of sensor that measures and converts pressure into an electrical output signal, typically in the form of a voltage. It is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications to monitor and control pressure levels.

How does a voltage output pressure transducer work?

A voltage output pressure transducer works by using a sensing element, typically a strain gauge, that deforms under pressure and changes its electrical resistance. This change in resistance is then converted into a proportional voltage output signal by the transducer's electronics.

What are the advantages of using a voltage output pressure transducer?

Some advantages of using a voltage output pressure transducer include its high accuracy, fast response time, and wide measurement range. It also has a low sensitivity to temperature changes and can be easily integrated into automated systems for continuous monitoring.

What are the applications of voltage output pressure transducers?

Voltage output pressure transducers are commonly used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. They are also used in scientific research for measuring pressure in experiments and in medical devices for monitoring blood pressure.

How do I choose the right voltage output pressure transducer for my application?

When choosing a voltage output pressure transducer, consider factors such as the required pressure range, accuracy, and compatibility with your system's voltage input. It is also important to consider the environment in which the transducer will be used and any necessary certifications for safety and quality standards.