Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage output pressure transducer ?

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone !

I am new here. I am currently a mechanical engineering student who's doing a project involving control systems and regenerative braking. So far my system of parts include a Pressure transducer attached to a foot pedal. When the brakes are applied the pressure transducer will send a signal to alert a linear electro-mechanical actuator to engage a clutch which will in turn enable an electric motor to start generating electricity and due to its electrical load also apply some sort of braking force. I am currently using Simulink to create a simulation of what would be happening, however i need to know some formula's before hand.

I have a question regarding Pressure Transducers and wanted to know if there is any formula or method on how to calculate amount of voltage generated say from the pressure transducer fitted to a brake pedal. I also don't even have any clue on how much pressure is typically generated by someone applying his foot on the brake pedal of a car while braking. My main aim is to somewhat calibrate a brake pedal pressure transducer to the amount of voltage (can also be current) generated. The voltage will be fed to a controller and if it happens to exceed a certain pressure limit braking will occur. Oh also the pressure transducer i will be using would be a Voltage (or current) output Pressure transducer.

Please would anyone be able to post me any sort of feed back on this, anything would be helpfull, thanks in advance =)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The output will depend on the transducer. There will be some that have different ranges of output as well as certain percentages of inaccuracy. A typical output level is 0-10V full scale. A typical inaccuracy is on the order of 1-5% full scale reading. Obviously the cheaper the transducer, the less performance and accuracy you will get.

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are using a actuator to engage a clutch it is not clear what the advantage of a analog sensor at the brake is. Could you not accomplish the same thing easier with a mirco switch?

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Btw, the output is typically linear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook