Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage problems & Kirchhoff's rules

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I'm getting confused with the problems that ask you to find potential and when to use the rule that the sum of all the V = 0.
    There were a lot of questions in my physics book that ask to find a potential in each capacitors and when i was doing those, i just used V = Q/C instead of Kirchhoff's rules (and the answers were right). In those questions, the values of V didn't add up to 0.
    But then later, the book started using that ƩV = 0.... and now the V values actually adds up to 0.... and I'm really confused when Kirchhoff's rules apply....
    The book says it applies to all closed-loop circuits. but the ones that asked to find potential with V = Q/C were also closed-loop circuits. mmm....
    Can anyone please explain this to me? :O

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    Im sure,and confident,that all closed loop circuits you solved using Q=CV, or any other formula in the word, The sum total of potential changes were ALWAYS Zero.Please post such an example,and people will be happy to clarify

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook