Volterra Equation of first kind existence of solution?

• Thread starter Anthony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral equation and the challenges of finding a solution. It is mentioned that the kernel of the equation has a weak singularity and the compactness of the operator, as well as the need for existence guarantees, are also discussed. Possible references for dealing with this type of problem are mentioned.
Anthony
Hi all.

I'm currently working on a problem that has led me to an integral equation of the form:

[tex] u(t)=\int_0^t K(t,\tau)f(\tau)\, \mathrm{d}\tau \qquad t\in (0,T)[/tex]

or simply [tex]u=Kf[/tex]. I've managed to prove the following:

• [tex]K :L^2(0,T)\rightarrow L^2 (0,T)[/tex]
  • [tex]K[/tex] is compact.
  • [tex]u\in L^2(0,T)[/tex]
  • The kernel [tex]K(t,\tau)[/tex] has a weak singularity.
Now I'm aware that the compactness of [tex]K[/tex] means the inverse, if it exists, is necessarily unbounded - that's not a problem. What I can't find in any of the literature is a solid result that guarantees me existence, unless the kernel is so nice that we can convert the problem into a Volterra integral equation of the second kind: well my kernel isn't that nice. There seems to be a fair amount of stuff on these equations with weak singularities, so I'm sure it's been done!

Does anyone know of any references that deal with this stuff (journal access isn't a problem)?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Volterra Equation of first kind?

The Volterra equation of first kind is a type of integral equation that can be represented in the form y(x) = f(x) + ∫ax K(x,t)y(t)dt, where f(x) is a known function and K(x,t) is a given kernel function.

What is the importance of the Volterra Equation of first kind in mathematics?

The Volterra equation of first kind has many applications in mathematics, particularly in the fields of differential equations, integral equations, and functional analysis. It is also used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena.

What is the existence of solution for the Volterra Equation of first kind?

The existence of a solution for the Volterra equation of first kind depends on the properties of the kernel function K(x,t). For certain types of kernel functions, a unique solution exists for a given initial condition. However, for some kernel functions, a solution may not exist or may not be unique.

How can the existence of solution be determined for the Volterra Equation of first kind?

The existence of solution for the Volterra equation of first kind can be determined by applying various mathematical techniques such as Picard iteration, Banach fixed point theorem, and Fredholm alternative theorem. These methods help to determine the conditions under which a solution exists.

What are some real-life applications of the Volterra Equation of first kind?

The Volterra equation of first kind has been used in various real-life applications such as modeling population growth, heat transfer in materials, and diffusion processes. It has also been applied in economics, biology, and chemistry to study various phenomena and make predictions.