Volume Charge Density of an infinite cylinder.

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite cylinder with a linear charge density and a volume charge density. The total charge within the cylinder can be determined using an integral, and this can be used to solve for the constant value \rho_{0}. Various equations and attempts at solving the problem using integration are mentioned, with the suggestion to use the average of the inside and outside radii as "r" for the volume element. The conversation ends with a request for guidance on solving the problem using integration.

Was this question posed in such a way that was clear/useful?

• Not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Getting there.

• Decent.

• It was very good.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LickMyEyeball

Homework Statement

An infinite cylinder of radius [tex]\textbf{R}[/tex] has a linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex]. The volume charge density [tex]\frac{C}{m^{3}}[/tex] within the cylinder [tex](r\leq R)[/tex] is [tex]\rho(r)=\frac{r\rho_{0}}{R}[/tex] where [tex]\rho_{0}[/tex] is a contant to be determined.

The charge within a small volume [tex]d\textbf{V}[/tex] is [tex]dq=\rho d\textbf{V}[/tex]. The integral of [tex]\rho d \textbf{V}[/tex] over a cylinder of length [tex]\textbf{L}[/tex] is the total charge [tex]Q=\lambda L[/tex] within the cylinder. Use this fact to show that [tex]\rho_{0}=\frac{3\lambda}{2\pi R^{2}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The volume of a cylinder is given as such:

[tex]V=\pi r^{2}h[/tex]

Where r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

I suspect that the rest of the relevant equations have been included in the statement of the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

My strategy is this: find an integral with respect to r and incorporating [tex]\rho_{0}[/tex], and having performed the integration, solve for [tex]\rho_{0}[/tex].

One might think of using an integral when one sees that the adding of all the little bits of charge equals Q, the total charge. The little bits of charge might be rewritten as such [tex]dq=\rho dV[/tex]. Therefore, the total integral [tex]\int{\rho dV}[/tex] must equal Q, the total charge. As V is volume, we should be able to rewrite this with respect to a coordinate such as r, which is the radius.

I attempted to integrate the cylinder by regarding it as the sum of many thin "shells", of the thickness [tex]dr[/tex]. See the diagram below.
View attachment forum.bmp
Thereby, each shell will have height L, radius r, and thickness dr. Please note that R is the radius of the cylinder in its entirety, while r is simply the distance away from the centre of the cylinder to the beginning of the shell in question. Put differently, it's the radius of the "empty" cylinder inside the shell in question.

I have difficulty in determining the volume of such a shell in such a way that I can use it in an integral. I keep getting powers on my differentiable bits, dr.

Allow me to show:
What would the volume be of such a shell?
[tex]\begin{equation}
\begin{align}
dV&=(L\pi(r+dr^{2}))-(L\pi r^{2})=L\pi((r+dr)^{2}-r^{2}) \\
&=L\pi(2r dr+dr^2)
\end{align}
\end{equation}[/tex]

We are left with an undesirable integration:
[tex]\begin{equation}
\begin{align}
L\pi\int{\rho(r)(2r dr+dr^{2})}\\
\frac{\rho_{0}L\pi}{R}\int{r(2r dr +dr^{2})}
\end{align}
\end{equation}[/tex]

It seems like I'm taking this from the wrong way. How can I solve this question using some sort of integration?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Any guidance (and attending logic) towards a working integral would be great! The algebra leading to the final solution shouldn't be needed. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
LickMyEyeball said:

I attempted to integrate the cylinder by regarding it as the sum of many thin "shells", of the thickness [tex]dr[/tex]. See the diagram below.
View attachment 23483
Thereby, each shell will have height L, radius r, and thickness dr. Please note that R is the radius of the cylinder in its entirety, while r is simply the distance away from the centre of the cylinder to the beginning of the shell in question. Put differently, it's the radius of the "empty" cylinder inside the shell in question.

Use the average of r(inside) and r(outside) as "r". If r(out)=r(in)+dr, your volume element is 2r *pi *h*dr .

But anyway: when using a volume element, the higher order of the differentials are to be neglected.

ehild

1. What is the definition of volume charge density for an infinite cylinder?

The volume charge density of an infinite cylinder is the amount of electric charge per unit volume of the cylinder. It is represented by the symbol ρ and is typically measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

2. How is the volume charge density of an infinite cylinder calculated?

The volume charge density of an infinite cylinder can be calculated by dividing the total charge of the cylinder by its volume. This can be represented by the equation ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume of the cylinder.

3. How does the volume charge density of an infinite cylinder affect the electric field around it?

The volume charge density of an infinite cylinder determines the strength of the electric field around it. The higher the volume charge density, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the volume charge density.

4. Can the volume charge density of an infinite cylinder change?

Yes, the volume charge density of an infinite cylinder can change. It can change if the total charge or the volume of the cylinder changes. It can also change if the cylinder is made of a different material with a different charge density.

5. What is the relationship between the volume charge density and the electric potential of an infinite cylinder?

The volume charge density and the electric potential of an infinite cylinder are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the volume charge density increases, the electric potential decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V = k/ρ, where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, and ρ is the volume charge density.