Volume moment to mass moment

In summary, the conversation discusses using the parallel axis theorem and tensor generalization to calculate the mass moment tensors for an object with non-uniform density, specifically a boat. The speaker suggests testing different assumptions, such as assuming all the mass is in the stern or if Ri and Rj are vectors or magnitudes, to see the effects on the calculations.
Fn4
Hello,

I was wondering if some one would be able to check my thought process on this.

I have an object ( a boat) which I'm only able to calculate the tensors of the volume moment around its volume centroid. If i assume that the object has a uniform density ( which it does not, just bear with me here), and i multiply the density by the volume moments tensors ( L^5 X M/L^3 = ML^2) it will give me the mass moments tensors. And If i use the parallel axis theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem and the tensor generalization to shift the location to the CG, would this give me a a fairly accurate value for the Mass moment tensors about the CG ( even though the boat does NOT have uniform density)??

And one last thing, is the Ri and Rj in the tensor generalization formula vectors or just magnitudes?

Best
Fn4

Physics news on Phys.org
You can test this by guessing the non-uniform density to be such that all the mass of the boat is in the stern and do the maths.
Similarly, test Ri and Rj to see what happens if you assume they are vectors and if you assume they are magnitudes.
Don't be scared to try stuff out.

1. What is volume moment?

Volume moment, also known as first moment of volume, is a measure of the distribution of mass in a three-dimensional object. It is calculated by multiplying the volume of an object by the distance from a reference point to the object's centroid.

2. What is mass moment?

Mass moment, also known as second moment of mass, is a measure of the distribution of mass in a three-dimensional object. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of the distance from a reference point to the object's centroid.

3. How are volume moment and mass moment related?

Volume moment and mass moment are related through the density of the object. The mass moment is equal to the volume moment multiplied by the density of the object.

4. What is the significance of volume moment and mass moment in engineering?

Volume moment and mass moment play important roles in structural analysis and design in engineering. They help engineers understand the distribution of mass in a structure and how it affects its stability and strength.

5. How are volume moment and mass moment used in real-world applications?

Volume moment and mass moment are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the stability of structures, determining the load-bearing capacity of materials, and designing aircraft and spacecraft. They are also used in the study of fluid mechanics to analyze the motion and forces of fluids in a three-dimensional space.