Volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections

In summary, the solid described in the conversation is bounded by the parabola x^2 = 8y and the line y = 4, with each perpendicular cross section being an equilateral triangle. To find the volume, the equation for an equilateral triangle's area is multiplied by the integral from 0 to 4 of √(8y) which results in 64√(3). However, the individual solved for x incorrectly, which led to confusion.
Phyzwizz
The base of a solid is the region bounded by the parabola x2 = 8y and the line y = 4 and each plane section perpendicular to the y-axis is an equilateral triangle. What is the volume of the solid?(Barron's Problem)

so I solved for x since y must be used because the cross section is perpendicular to the y-axis. x=(8y)1/2. The area equation for an equilateral triangle is A = s2√(3)/4
So I figured the volume of the cross section would be equal to the integral from 0 to 4 of (8y√(3))/4 which gives me 16√(3) which is apparently wrong. The answer is supposed to be 64√(3). I don't know what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
82= 64, not 8!

HallsofIvy said:
82= 64, not 8!

I wrote down solving for x incorrectly its supposed to be √(8y) which allows my confusion to continue.

What is the definition of "Volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections"?

The volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections refers to the amount of space that is occupied by a three-dimensional shape that is made up of equilateral triangles stacked on top of each other.

How is the volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections calculated?

The volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base (equilateral triangle) by the height of the shape.

What are the properties of equilateral triangles that make them useful in calculating the volume of a solid?

Equilateral triangles have equal sides and angles, making them symmetrical and easy to work with in calculations. They also have a regular shape, making it easier to visualize and manipulate in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-life examples of objects that have the volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections?

A pyramid, a cone, and a triangular prism are all examples of objects that have the volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections. These shapes can be found in architecture, household items, and even in nature.

How does the volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections differ from other types of volumes?

The volume of a solid with equilateral triangle cross-sections is unique in that it is specifically calculated using equilateral triangles as the base. Other types of volumes may use different shapes as the base, such as rectangles or circles.