1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Hot & Cold water required for a known volume and temperature

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    I've just set a solar thermal array for research for my thesis. I would like to simulate different usage patterns to see how the system performs. I'm doing this using a Arduino with temperature sensors at the top hot the tank and on the cold supply which will then control a motorised valve which will dump hot water based on the usage patterns I set. I'm struggling to work out how to calculate this.

So for example if I want to dump 50l at 45°C and the hot water store is a 60°C and the coldwater supply is at 10°C.

I need to work out the volume of hot and cold water required. (and tell the motorised valve to open for a time based on the volume calculated)

I've been playing around with Q=mcΔT for a couple of day, and think I need to rearrange the equation to give me a ratio of the hot/cold water then calculate the actual volume based on how much I want to dump.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Desired vol = V
    Desired temp = Td
    Hot temp = Th
    Cold temp = Tc
    Vol hot needed = V*(Td-Tc)/(Th-Tc)
    Vol cold needed = V*(Th-Td)/(Th-Tc)
    Is that what you're after?

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks haruspex!! That works.. I've just tested it experimentally

Do you know what I should look up to get a better understanding to this as where it was derived?

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose Vol hot needed = Vh and Vol cold needed = Vc.
    V = Vh + Vc
    The resulting temperature will be a weighted average of the two source temperatures:
    Td*V = Th*Vh + Tc*Vc
    Then it's just the standard process of solving two simultaneous equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook