Calculating Tank Volume from Liquid Depth: A Practical Guide

In summary, the person is seeking help to find the volume of petrol in underground storage tanks with only the depth at the bottom as a measurement. The tanks are estimated to be 1000 to 2000 litres and are laid in the ground like a pipe, not standing upright like a water tank. They are asking for real-life application and not for homework help.
Bradenbraden
Hi guys/gals,

I have a problem, my maths isn't that great. I have some underground storage tanks with petrol in them. and I can only measure depth of the liquid at the bottom. however i want to know the volume for disposal purposes. Can anyone tell me how to find the volume given the height of the petrol from the bottom? details are the tanks are 1.2m diameter, and the height of the liquid from the bottom of the tanks range between 6 to 30cm. the volumes of the tanks are estimated to be about 1000 to 2000 litres. This is a real life application, not homework.
the tanks are laying in the ground like a big pipe, not standing upright like a watertank.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
wikipedia to the rescue!

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of liquid in a tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of liquid in a tank is length x width x height. This formula assumes that the tank is a perfect rectangular prism.

2. How do you measure the dimensions of a tank to calculate volume?

To measure the dimensions of a tank, you will need a measuring tape or ruler. Measure the length, width, and height of the tank in either feet or meters.

3. Can the volume of a tank change over time?

Yes, the volume of a tank can change over time. It depends on the rate at which liquid is added or removed from the tank and the dimensions of the tank.

4. How do you convert the volume of a tank from cubic feet to gallons?

To convert the volume of a tank from cubic feet to gallons, you will need to know the conversion factor. One cubic foot is equal to 7.48 gallons. Multiply the volume in cubic feet by 7.48 to get the volume in gallons.

5. Can the shape of a tank affect the volume of liquid it can hold?

Yes, the shape of a tank can affect the volume of liquid it can hold. A taller and narrower tank will have a smaller volume compared to a shorter and wider tank with the same dimensions. The shape also affects how easily the tank can be filled or emptied.