1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Volume of the Solid involving Hyperbolic functions

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The area bounded by y=2 coshx, the x-axis, the y-axis, and the line x=4 is revolved about the x-axis. Find the volume of the solid generated.

2. Relevant equations

I sliced the area along the axis of revolution. That is the strip is dx. So the equation necessary is pi(R^2-r^2) from the limits of integration (0,4)

3. The attempt at a solution
    pi[tex]\int((2cosh(x))^2-16)[/tex] from 0 to 4
    I am uncertain if my logic is sound. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    I think it would be best to use disks to solve this problem. If I were to use shells the slicing would be awkward. Can anyone give me some pointers?

4. Jun 2, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Why not just integrate pi*(2*cosh(x))^2 dx from 0 to 4

Your vertical strip is just between y=2*cosh(x) and y=0. So pi(R^2-0). x=4 is just the boundary condition, your limits are from x=0 to x=4

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. Jun 2, 2010 #4
    Thank you. The thought occurred to me that I could just integrate that. And the logic behind that seems sound by my accounts. I just needed some additional feedback.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook