Volume usingiterated triple integral

The conversation is about writing an iterated triple integral in the order dzdydx for the volume of a region in the first octant enclosed by a cylinder and a plane. The integral should be evaluated with x from 0 to 2, y from -sqrt(4-x2) to sqrt(4-x2), and z from 0 to 4.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

Write an iterated triple integral in the order dzdydx for the volume of the region in the first octant enclosed by the cylinder x2+y2=4 anf the plane z=4. (You do not need to evaluate)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the right set up, but I wanted to make sure. V=∭ dzdydx ... x from 0 to 2, y from -sqrt(4-x2) to sqrt(4-x2) and z from 0 to 4...

Thanks for the help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
MozAngeles said:

Homework Statement

Write an iterated triple integral in the order dzdydx for the volume of the region in the first octant enclosed by the cylinder x2+y2=4 anf the plane z=4. (You do not need to evaluate)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the right set up, but I wanted to make sure. V=∭ dzdydx ... x from 0 to 2, y from -sqrt(4-x2) to sqrt(4-x2) and z from 0 to 4...

Thanks for the help in advance

-sqrt(4-x2) isn't the first octant.

1. What is the concept behind volume using iterated triple integrals?

The concept behind volume using iterated triple integrals is to partition a three-dimensional region into infinitesimal subregions and sum the volumes of those subregions to find the total volume of the region. This is done by integrating over each of the three dimensions, using the limits of integration to define the boundaries of the region.

2. How do you set up the limits of integration for a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a triple integral are determined by the boundaries of the region in each of the three dimensions. To set up the limits, you must first determine the range of each variable, which is often defined by equations or inequalities. These ranges are then used to define the limits of integration for each variable in the integral.

3. Can you use triple integrals to find the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, triple integrals can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes. By partitioning the shape into infinitesimal subregions, the volume can be approximated by summing the volumes of these subregions. As the size of the subregions approaches zero, the accuracy of the approximation increases and the total volume can be found.

4. What is the difference between an iterated triple integral and a triple integral?

An iterated triple integral is a triple integral that is evaluated in stages, with each stage representing a different dimension. In contrast, a triple integral is evaluated all at once, integrating over all three dimensions simultaneously. However, the end result of both methods is the same - the volume of the region.

5. Are there any real-world applications of volume using iterated triple integrals?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of volume using iterated triple integrals. For example, in physics, triple integrals can be used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object, such as a solid object or a fluid in motion. In engineering, triple integrals can be used to calculate the volume of complex structures, such as bridges or buildings. They can also be used in economics to determine the volume of production or consumption in a three-dimensional space.