1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Revolution: Revolving about a vertical axis

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region under the graph of y=1/x and y=1/x^2 about the vertical axis x=-1

Also given are points on the y-axis (0,2) and (0,5). I guessing these points are specific sections of the graphs where we find the volume.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of revolution = pi int_a^b ((R^2)-(r^2))dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem I would think...
    a=2
    b=5
    but I am uncertain as to how to find R and r. I know they correspond the outer and inner radii but how do I go about find them.

I attached a picture of what the problem looks like.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not "under" the graphs, between them.

Since you drew a picture of the curves, also draw the line x= 1 and imagine a horizontal line from from x= 1 to those curves, for a given y.

You are rotating the outer graph, y= 1/x2, around the line x= 1. R is the distance between those two, for each y: 1- 1/x2. r, the inner radius, is the distance from the curve y= 1/x to 1: 1- 1/x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?