Volumes of Spheres around a Box

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
cmdro
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let B be a solid box with length L, width W, and height H. Let S be the set of all points that are a distance at most 1 from some point of B. Express the volume of S in terms of L,W, and H.

Homework Equations



4/3(pi)r

The Attempt at a Solution



I have gotten to LWH+2LH+2LW+2HW+4/3(pi) and I think I am missing something involving a pi, but I do not know how to get it right. The LHW is the box volume. The 2 times the areas are to compensate for the encasing on all sides. The 4/3(pi) is for the unit sphere made in the corners. Can you help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you mean (4/3)pi*r^3. But that's a good start. You are missing some quarter cylinder regions along the edges.
 
Sorry. That is what I meant. I'm just bad at typing. I apologize. So the cylinder is given by (pi)(r)(height) correct? r=1. So pi(l) +pi(w) +pi(h)?
 
The cylinder is pi*r^2*h. You keep getting the exponent of r wrong. Since r=1 it doesn't show up in the answer, but yes, I think that's correct.
 
Thank you sooooo much! And sorry. I am trying to type fast and keep forgetting. I write them down right, but type them wrong. But thanks for correcting me, making sure I'm right! Thanks!