1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Spheres around a Box

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let B be a solid box with length L, width W, and height H. Let S be the set of all points that are a distance at most 1 from some point of B. Express the volume of S in terms of L,W, and H.

2. Relevant equations

4/3(pi)r

3. The attempt at a solution

I have gotten to LWH+2LH+2LW+2HW+4/3(pi) and I think I am missing something involving a pi, but I do not know how to get it right. The LHW is the box volume. The 2 times the areas are to compensate for the encasing on all sides. The 4/3(pi) is for the unit sphere made in the corners. Can you help me????

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you mean (4/3)pi*r^3. But that's a good start. You are missing some quarter cylinder regions along the edges.

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    Sorry. That is what I meant. I'm just bad at typing. I apologize. So the cylinder is given by (pi)(r)(height) correct? r=1. So pi(l) +pi(w) +pi(h)?

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cylinder is pi*r^2*h. You keep getting the exponent of r wrong. Since r=1 it doesn't show up in the answer, but yes, I think that's correct.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    Thank you sooooo much! And sorry. I am trying to type fast and keep forgetting. I write them down right, but type them wrong. But thanks for correcting me, making sure I'm right! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook