Von Neumann QM Rules Equivalent to Bohm?

In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility between Bohm's deterministic theory and Von Neumann's rules for the evolution of the wave function. It is argued that although there is no true collapse in Bohmian mechanics, there is an effective (illusionary) collapse that is indistinguishable from the true collapse. This is due to decoherence, where the wave function splits into non-overlapping branches and the Bohmian particle enters only one of them. However, there is a disagreement about the applicability of Von Neumann's second rule for composite systems.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Bohm's deterministic theory was designed to be equivalent to standard QM, but what I'm not sure about is whether that includes Von Neumann's rules.

Von Neumann's rules for the evolution of the wave function are roughly described by:
  1. Between measurements, the wave function evolves according to Schrodinger's equation.
  2. If the wave function is [itex]\psi[/itex] immediately before a measurement, then after measuring an observable [itex]O[/itex] to have eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], the wave function will be equal to [itex]\psi'[/itex], which is the result of projecting [itex]\psi[/itex] onto the subspace of the Hilbert space where [itex]O[/itex] has eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]
I don't want to argue about whether the second process, called "wave function collapse", is physical, or just epistemological, or just a rule of thumb with no particular meaning. But what I do want to know is whether Von Neumann's rules are consistent with Bohmian mechanics.

In Bohmian mechanics, there is no collapse, because the particle is assumed to always have a definite position (and the assumption is made that any kind of measurement can be understood in terms of one or more position measurements). The wave function [itex]\psi[/itex] has a double role: (1) [itex]|psi(x}|^2[/itex] gives the distribution of possible values for the position variable [itex]x[/itex], and (2) the wave function acts as a "pilot wave", affecting the trajectory of the particle.

The reason that I'm not certain about the equivalence of Bohmian mechanics and Von Neumann's QM is because after a measurement of position, according to Von Neumann, the wave function is now a delta-function (or at least is described by a highly localized function). But in Bohmian mechanics, there is no collapse, so the wave function continues to be whatever it was before the position measurement. So the two approaches--Von Neumann and Bohm--will be using different wave functions after the measurement. Those two situations don't sound equivalent to me.

Now, maybe it is that in Bohmian mechanics, the act of measuring position causes the wave function to collapse in the same way as Von Neumann, if we take into account the interaction of the particle with whatever device measured position. Is that the resolution?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are equivalent, provided one does rigourous QM. So after a position measurement, the state is not a delta function (it is not square integrable, so it is not an allowed wave function).

The collapse can be derived in Bohmian Mechanics. Essentially there is decoherence exactly as in Many-Worlds, but the conceptual subtleties are done away with by having the trajectory pick one of the worlds. If there is no recoherence (which is the condition for applying collapse in Copenhagen), then one can show that Copenhagen with collapse is a very good approximation to Bohmian Mechanics without collapse.

There's a discussion of this in VI.2 of this reference.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1084
Overview of Bohmian Mechanics
Xavier Oriols, Jordi Mompart

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and Demystifier
Von Neumann rules are compatible with Bohmian mechanics (BM). Namely, even though there is no true collapse in BM, there is an effective (illusionary) collapse which, for all practical purposes, cannot be distinguished from the true collapse.

How that illusionary effective collapse happens? Due to decoherence, the total wave function splits into non-overlapping branches, which is a deterministic continuous process described by the many-particle Schrodinger equation. Since the branches are non-overlapping, the Bohmian particle may enter only one of the branches. When the particle enters one of the branches, all other branches cease to have influence on the motion of the Bohmian particle. This is effectively the same as if other branches ceased to exist; they are still there, but now ineffective.

Now you have two descriptions: you can use only the non-empty channel (which corresponds to the collapsed wave function), or you can use all the channels (which corresponds to the wave function which did not collapse). As far as motion of the Bohmian particle is concerned, the two descriptions are equivalent.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and atyy
I object against von Neumann's 2nd rule. That's only true for ideal von Neumann filter measurements. Quite often the measured system is destroyed in the measuring procedure, and it doesn't make sense to describe it by a wave function for it in the sense of an isolated system. E.g., the accurately measured energies and momenta of the particles produced at the LHC hit the detectors and are gone thereafter. It doesn't make sense to associate a wave function to them anymore.

vanhees71 said:
E.g., the accurately measured energies and momenta of the particles produced at the LHC hit the detectors and are gone thereafter. It doesn't make sense to associate a wave function to them anymore.
But it still makes sense to associate a QFT state in the Hilbert space to them. For instance, the vacuum is also a state in the Hilbert space. Moreover, even if such QFT states cannot be represented by a wave function, they certainly can be represented by a wave functional. So the von Neumann rule still applies, but now with wave functionals instead of wave functions.

vanhees71 said:
I object against von Neumann's 2nd rule. That's only true for ideal von Neumann filter measurements. Quite often the measured system is destroyed in the measuring procedure, and it doesn't make sense to describe it by a wave function for it in the sense of an isolated system.

The Von Neumann rule is really most important for composite systems, so that measuring a property of one component causes the collapse of the wave function for another component.

atyy said:
They are equivalent, provided one does rigourous QM. So after a position measurement, the state is not a delta function (it is not square integrable, so it is not an allowed wave function).

I certainly agree that no actual measurement can result in a delta-function; instead, you make an imprecise measurement of position, and you end up with a localized wave function. But that distinction is not really relevant to my post.

The collapse can be derived in Bohmian Mechanics. Essentially there is decoherence exactly as in Many-Worlds, but the conceptual subtleties are done away with by having the trajectory pick one of the worlds. If there is no recoherence (which is the condition for applying collapse in Copenhagen), then one can show that Copenhagen with collapse is a very good approximation to Bohmian Mechanics without collapse.

So that sounds like Bohmian Mechanics is equivalent to Von Neumann via the no-collapse interpretations of QM. I guess that makes sense: Bohm is as compatible with collapse as MWI is.

That's true. You need it as projection postulate in this case, i.e., to get the state of the unmeasured subsystem you have to trace over the measured other part. This example however shows als the EPR problems with collapse interpretations!

Demystifier said:
But it still makes sense to associate a QFT state in the Hilbert space to them. For instance, the vacuum is also a state in the Hilbert space. Moreover, even if such QFT states cannot be represented by a wave function, they certainly can be represented by a wave functional. So the von Neumann rule still applies, but now with wave functionals instead of wave functions.
Well, think "state" everywhere in my posting, where I've written wave function. It's the same thing. The Higgs bosons measured at the LHC are long gone and not in an (approximate) eigenstate of energy and momentum. The same holds true for the decay products measured. So one must take von Neumann's assertions not too literal.

vanhees71 said:
Well, think "state" everywhere in my posting, where I've written wave function. It's the same thing. The Higgs bosons measured at the LHC are long gone and not in an (approximate) eigenstate of energy and momentum. The same holds true for the decay products measured. So one must take von Neumann's assertions not too literal.
The bold part above is wrong. The Higgs which is "gone" is actually the Higgs field in the vacuum state, which is an exact eigenstate of energy and momentum (with eigenvalues equal to zero).

Concerning collapse, it looks as if you missed my point entirely, so let me be more explicit. Consider detection of a photon. There are two possibilities:

1) The photon is not detected and the detector remains in the ground state. The corresponding state in the Hilbert space is |photon>|ground>

2) The photon is detected (and hence destroyed) and the detector jumps to the excited state. The corresponding state in the Hilbert space is |0>|excited>

If each of the possibilities has some non-zero quantum probability to occur, then a purely unitary evolution of the quantum state actually gives a superposition a|photon>|ground>+b|0>|excited>. So you need a non-unitary collapse to pick up only one of these two terms in the superposition. By collapse, the state ends either in the state 1) or the state 2). In particular, if the photon is detected and destroyed, then the photon field is in the state |0>. The collapse describes a jump to the state |0>. Even though the photon is "destroyed", you still have a well defined state of the photon field.

The word here which should not be taken too literally is not so much the word "collapse", but the word "destroyed". Nothing is really destroyed; the system merely jumps to the ground state of the photon (or Higgs) field.

Let me finish by one technical remark. Even in QFT the state can be described by a wave function, provided that you allow wave function to depend on an infinite number of coordinates. In particular, the vacuum wave function is constant, not depending on x at all. For more details see e.g. the classic textbook
S.S. Schweber, An Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Field Theory (Eq. 80)
or my own paper
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0904.2287 [Int.J.Mod.Phys.A25:1477-1505,2010]

Last edited:
stevendaryl said:
I guess that makes sense: Bohm is as compatible with collapse as MWI is.
Exactly!

I think, we talk about two different things here. I've to study your paper first, before I can say anything about it. Of course, you can formulate QFT in terms of "wave functionals". Another more modern textbook than Schweber treating this approach is the book by Hatfield.

What I meant is that von Neumann's formulation has to be taken with a grain of salt. He only treats very special cases of measurements. There's a whole industry of new developments concerning measurement theory since the mid 1930ies, which come much closer to the reality in labs. Von Neumann's merit for QT lies imho not so much in the physical interpretation (which I consider totally flawed since it's a nearly solipsistic overempasis of the collapse interpretation) but in the mathematical foundation of non-relativistic quantum theory in terms of Hilbert space theory. As far as I know, there's not yet an as mathematically strict definition of any realistic QFT, let alone the Standard Model.

Very puristically spoken, the Higgs boson (or any other instable particle) is not defined as an observable entity in relativistic QFT at all. There only asymptotic free states are well-defined and in fact what's measured at ATLAS and CMS are of course the stable (or quasi-stable as in the case of muons) final states (it was discovered in the two-photon and the 2-dilepton (electrons and muons) channels by ATLAS and CMS as famously announced on Independence Day 2012). Even those stable decay particles have been absorbed by the detectors, and it makes no sense to describe than as if you could take von Neumann's postulate 2 literally.

vanhees71 said:
I think, we talk about two different things here.
Maybe, but then let us try to make clear what exactly that difference is.

vanhees71 said:
Of course, you can formulate QFT in terms of "wave functionals". Another more modern textbook than Schweber treating this approach is the book by Hatfield.
Note an important difference! Schweber talks about wave functions (depending on an infinite number of particle positions), while Hatfield talks about wave functionals (depending on entire field configurations).

vanhees71 said:
What I meant is that von Neumann's formulation has to be taken with a grain of salt. He only treats very special cases of measurements. There's a whole industry of new developments concerning measurement theory since the mid 1930ies, which come much closer to the reality in labs.
Von Neumann talks about projective measurements. Modern measurement theory talks about POVM measurements, which, in a certain sense, are more general than projective measurements. However, they are more general only when one wants to describe measurement without explicitly describing the environment and the measuring apparatus. By contrast, when the quantum state of the environment and the measuring apparatus is also taken into account, then all measurements can be described as projective (von Neumann) measurements.

vanhees71 said:
Von Neumann's merit for QT lies imho not so much in the physical interpretation (which I consider totally flawed since it's a nearly solipsistic overempasis of the collapse interpretation) but in the mathematical foundation of non-relativistic quantum theory in terms of Hilbert space theory. As far as I know, there's not yet an as mathematically strict definition of any realistic QFT, let alone the Standard Model.
Even if the collapse is ignored, another important von Neumann's merit for QT is understanding that quantum measurement creates entanglement with the measuring apparatus. This physical (not merely mathematical) insight is a basis of modern theory of decoherence, which, in turn, has a lot to do with the "illusion of collapse" even if the true collapse is never introduced explicitly.

Even if it is true that von Neumann overemphasized the collapse, it is even more true that most quantum-physics textbooks do not sufficiently emphasize the quantum role of the measuring apparatus and environment. That's probably because Bohr (unlike von Neumann) insisted that the macroscopic world should be described by classical physics, which misguided several generations of physicists.

vanhees71 said:
Even those stable decay particles have been absorbed by the detectors, and it makes no sense to describe than as if you could take von Neumann's postulate 2 literally.
I strongly disagree. The fact that they are absorbed does not imply that you cannot describe it by the von Neumann's 2nd postulate. In post #10 I have explained explicitly how you can do that. The collapse with "absorption" is neither more nor less "literal" than the collapse without the "absorption".

Last edited:
Likes atyy
vanhees71 said:
As far as I know, there's not yet an as mathematically strict definition of any realistic QFT, let alone the Standard Model.

What is the status of domain wall fermions and the standard model? Can a lattice standard model be constructed with domain wall fermions, at least in principle, even if it is too inefficient to simulate? Or is the answer still unknown?

vanhees71 said:
I object against von Neumann's 2nd rule. That's only true for ideal von Neumann filter measurements. Quite often the measured system is destroyed in the measuring procedure, and it doesn't make sense to describe it by a wave function for it in the sense of an isolated system.
Mathematically, the Neumarks's theorem guarantees that for any non-ideal (=POVM) measurement in a Hilbert space of dimension n, there is a corressponding ideal (=filter=projective=von Neumann) measurement in a larger Hilbert space of dimension N>n. Physically, the larger Hilbert space corresponds to the inclusion of the environment and measuring apparatus in the quantum description. In other words, all measurements are ideal, provided that you include a sufficient number of degrees of freedom into your description.

Mathematically it may make sense to assume that for each observable there exists an ideal-filter measurement. Then you should formulate the axiom in this way and not in the way given in the original posting. You find this formulation very often in textbooks, but it's confusing, at least it was for me for quite some time ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Mathematically it may make sense to assume that for each observable there exists an ideal-filter measurement. Then you should formulate the axiom in this way and not in the way given in the original posting. You find this formulation very often in textbooks, but it's confusing, at least it was for me for quite some time ;-).

Yes, it's confused since it mixes the beliefs of different churches. But in this age of intolerance, it is ecumenical in spirit :)

http://www.quantiki.org/wiki/The_Church_of_the_larger_Hilbert_space
http://mattleifer.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/commandments.pdf

Likes Demystifier, rootone and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
So would you agree now that all measurements can effectively be described as a collapse, provided that it is a collapse in a Hilbert space which is usually larger than that of the measured observable?

I don't consider collapse as a physical process, because this causes the old EPR troubles. What we have are local interactions of the system with a measurement apparatus which is approrpiately constructed to measure an observable, that's it. The only thing one has are the probabilities for the outcome of measurements given by a state, which I have associated to the system with an appropriate preparation procedure.

vanhees71 said:
I don't consider collapse as a physical process, because this causes the old EPR troubles. What we have are local interactions of the system with a measurement apparatus which is appropriately constructed to measure an observable, that's it. The only thing one has are the probabilities for the outcome of measurements given by a state, which I have associated to the system with an appropriate preparation procedure.

When you say "the probabilities for the outcome of measurements", does that assume that there is a single outcome to a measurement? If there is only one outcome, then it seems to me that the picking of that outcome is a physical process.

Likes Demystifier
Sure, if you have a well-working measurement device the outcome of a measurement should be unique. If you measure the momentum of a particle with some detector, you get one value with a certain accuracy. Of course, it's a physical process making this possible, namely the interaction of the particle with the detector. That's the very definition of a measurement. All this does not imply anything like a collapse of the state, it's just an interaction of the particle with the apparatus.

vanhees71 said:
Sure, if you have a well-working measurement device the outcome of a measurement should be unique. If you measure the momentum of a particle with some detector, you get one value with a certain accuracy. Of course, it's a physical process making this possible, namely the interaction of the particle with the detector. That's the very definition of a measurement. All this does not imply anything like a collapse of the state, it's just an interaction of the particle with the apparatus.

Well, if there are multiple possible outcomes before the measurement, and a single outcome after the measurement, then that seems to be a physical change. Unless "possible" is meant epistemologically--we don't know which outcomes are possible until measurement.

Of course, there is a change, because the system is interacting with the measurement device, but why the heck must one call that a "collapse" and what is "collapsing"? Is something collapsing, because they tell the 6 numbers of the German Lotto game on Saturday afternoon? When are all these collapses occurring? When the Lotto numbers are figured out by using some random-number generator and when they are stored in the memory of the computer? When the numbers are realized by a human being (Bell once asked, whether it's enough to have an amoeba causing the first collapse in nature with regard to collapse interpretations which claim it necessary to even have a conscious being to take notice of a measurement result)? Or occur several million collapses whenever the TV watchers take notice of the numbers?...

Again, the collapse is unnecessary und confusing rather than helping in using quantum theory to describe the world!

vanhees71 said:
Of course, there is a change, because the system is interacting with the measurement device, but why the heck must one call that a "collapse" and what is "collapsing"? Is something collapsing, because they tell the 6 numbers of the German Lotto game on Saturday afternoon?!

Well, if, through whatever mechanism, the results of the German Lotto game always gave results that were correlated with the results of the New York Lotto game, then I think people would suspect that either:
  1. The outcomes are influenced by some unknown common factor.
  2. One outcome influences the other remotely.
Possibility 1 would be considered comparable to a "hidden variables" theory, and possibility 2 would be considered comparable to a "collapse" theory.

vanhees71 said:
Of course, there is a change, because the system is interacting with the measurement device, but why the heck must one call that a "collapse" and what is "collapsing"? Is something collapsing, because they tell the 6 numbers of the German Lotto game on Saturday afternoon?

Just to add to stevendaryl's point above. The technical difficulty is that there is no known way to write quantum collapse exactly as Bayesian updating (without introducing hidden variables). So yes, the collapse is needed as something extra in quantum theory. (You can call it whatever you like if you don't like "collapse", but that doesn't change the concept - it is a postulate that is needed to link the quantum formalism to Bayes's rule for the calculation of conditional probabilities.)

vanhees71 said:
Of course, it's a physical process making this possible, namely the interaction of the particle with the detector.
It's easy to say so, but can you be more specific about the nature of such an interaction? For instance it is known that such interaction can not be described by the Schrodinger equation (or its QFT equivalent) alone. That's because the Schrodinger-like unitary evolution necessarily produces superpositions, (e.g. a cat in a superposition of dead and alive), while single outcomes need somehow to pick up only one of the terms in the superposition.

Last edited:
stevendaryl said:
Well, if, through whatever mechanism, the results of the German Lotto game always gave results that were correlated with the results of the New York Lotto game, then I think people would suspect that either:
  1. The outcomes are influenced by some unknown common factor.
  2. One outcome influences the other remotely.
Possibility 1 would be considered comparable to a "hidden variables" theory, and possibility 2 would be considered comparable to a "collapse" theory.

Possibility 3: The setup is such that the drawing of the Lotto numbers in Germany and NY is done with an entangled system. This is very fair, because there's nothing known in nature which is more random than that, for sure better than any pseudorandom number generator in computers can ever be. It would only be unfair, if the Germans look at their drawing before the New Yorkers and then bet in NY on the then for them known winning numbers ;-)).

Also here, there's no collapse nor any "spooky action at a distance", if you don't postulate one. It's the preparation of the system with entangled subsystem which "imprints" the correlations described by this entanglement. It's not the measurement at A which causes the result at B and vice versa. This is only so if you insist on a collapse, which has imho no basis in any observation made so far. With the minimal interpretation everything is consistent and no EPR problems with causility occur.

atyy said:
Just to add to stevendaryl's point above. The technical difficulty is that there is no known way to write quantum collapse exactly as Bayesian updating (without introducing hidden variables). So yes, the collapse is needed as something extra in quantum theory. (You can call it whatever you like if you don't like "collapse", but that doesn't change the concept - it is a postulate that is needed to link the quantum formalism to Bayes's rule for the calculation of conditional probabilities.)
Where do you need a collapse here? I just measure, e.g., a spin component (to have the simple case of a discrete observable) and take notice of the result. If you have a filter measurement (the usually discussed Stern-Geralch apparati are such), I filter out all partial beams I don't want and am left with a polarized beam with in the spin state I want. That's all. I don't need a collapse. The absorption of the unwanted partial beams are due to local interactions of the particles with the absorber. There's no collapse!

Demystifier said:
It's easy to say so, but can you be more specific about the nature of such an interaction? For instance it is known that such interaction can not be described by the Schrodinger equation (or its QFT equivalent) alone. That's because the Schrodinger-like unitary evolution necessarily produces superpositions, (e.g. a cat in a superposition of dead and alive), while single outcomes need somehow to pick up only one of the terms in the superposition.
The non-unitarity comes in, because you project to the relevant macroscopic observables (coarse-graining). The paradigmatic example is, how you go from the full quantum evolution of a single-particle distribution function (Kadanoff-Baym equation) to macroscopic equations (transport equations). Only the latter lead to entropy production and thus irreversibility. The non-unitarity is emergent and not due to the underlying exact equations which you never can solve (or observe!) because of the complexity of a detailed microscopic state of a macroscopic system, and as was stressed rightly already by Bohr, a measurement device must be macroscopic!

vanhees71 said:
The non-unitarity comes in, because you project to the relevant macroscopic observables (coarse-graining). The paradigmatic example is, how you go from the full quantum evolution of a single-particle distribution function (Kadanoff-Baym equation) to macroscopic equations (transport equations). Only the latter lead to entropy production and thus irreversibility. The non-unitarity is emergent and not due to the underlying exact equations which you never can solve (or observe!) because of the complexity of a detailed microscopic state of a macroscopic system, and as was stressed rightly already by Bohr, a measurement device must be macroscopic!
I find this explanation very similar to atyy's description of collapse in terms of the Heisenberg (macro/micro) cut. Saying that the non-unitarity is emergent from the micro system-macro apparatus interaction certainly seems to follow the Copenhagen spirit as far as I can see.

Sure, there are Copenhagen flavors without collapse. Whether or not you call the minimal interpretation Copenhagen or not, is a matter of taste. I don't feel fit to answer whether Bohr is a "minimal interpreter" or not. For that, I'd have to dive into the original papers written by Bohr, and that's no fun to read. Bohr has too many words and not enough equations for my taste ;-)). Heisenberg is also a pretty difficult case. His interpretation seems not to be exactly the same as Bohrs, as can be seen from the famous correction of his first paper concerning the uncertainty relation by Bohr, which is very important in this context: Heisenberg claimed that his uncertainty relation says that you cannot measure (!) position and momentum simultaneously (!) on one system, while Bohr (in my opinion more correctly) says that the particle cannot prepared such that its position and momentum are determined better than allowed by the uncertainty relation.

Of course, another important point of interpretation of QT indeed is that in the microscopic realm you cannot measure quantities without disturbing the system to some minimal extent. This reaches far into the fundamental operational definitions of the observables. E.g., classically you define the electric field of a charge distribution by the (instantaneous) force acting on a test charge, where the test charge is meant to make the limit ##q_{\text{test}} \rightarrow 0## such that you don't disturb the charge distribution whose field you want to measure by the interaction with the test charge. Now, if you want to do so for a single electron, you cannot do that anymore, since there are no test charges smaller than one elementary charge you could use. This disturbance-measurement uncertainties, however, are not what's described by the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relations but are (as far as I know) still under debate by the experts.

There's a posting by me about one such relation and its realization somewhere on PF, which was never discussed, for what reason ever!

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...elation-vs-noise-disturbance-measures.664972/

Demystifier said:
Would you agree that collapse can be described by a Lindblad equation? If so, then one can take ones algebra of observables and define an algebraic state on it by ##\omega(A)=\mathrm{Tr}(\rho A)## and the trace preserving time evolution by the Lindblad equation defines a stable *-automorphism ##\alpha_t## on the algebra of observables. One can then compute the GNS Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}_\omega## for ##\omega## and then there is a theorem that let's us represent ##\alpha_t## by unitary operators. So one can represent the collapse by a unitary evolution by sacrificing the irreducibilty of the representation.

Uups. Can you translate this for a poor theoretical physicist into physics? Taking the trace could mean, what I describe as "coarse-graining". You seem to define an expectation value as the observable. Is this right? If so then it seems to go into the direction, I mean: You take a macroscopic ("classical") observable (like a pointer position of some measurement device) as the expectation value averaged over many microscopic degrees of freedom. This classical "pointer state" then can, if the measurement procedure is appropriate for the observable on the quantum system you want to measure, provide the measurement of this observable. The paradigmatic example, which can be (even nearly analytically) analyzed fully quantum mechanically is the Stern-Gerlach experiment: The position of the silver atoms as measured by letting them hit a photoplate, leaving well-distinguishable marks for spin-up and spin-down polarized atoms: A macroscopic observable (a blackened grain in the photo plate) is accurate enough to resolve a miscroscopic quantity (the spin-z component of a silver atom). There's no collapse necessary. The pattern left by the silver atoms on the photo plate is completely describable by solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation and using Born's rule for its interpretation!

I have never thought much about the physical interpretation of this purely mathematical fact, but now that you wrote this, it seems like it would be exactly the right interpretation. The GNS Hilbert space will contain more degrees of freedom and one could certainly try to interpret them as some pointer degrees of freedom. Unfortunately, I will only have time to explain it in more details in the evening. For the meantime (if you can't wait :smile:), I recommend Strocchi's book on the matter.

rubi said:
Would you agree that collapse can be described by a Lindblad equation?
Yes, but not in a way which would be compatible with unitary evolution for a larger system.

<h2>1. What are the Von Neumann QM rules and how do they relate to Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>The Von Neumann QM rules are a set of mathematical rules that describe the behavior of quantum systems, including the wave function collapse and measurement process. These rules were developed by John von Neumann in the 1930s. Bohmian mechanics is an alternative interpretation of quantum mechanics that also describes the behavior of quantum systems, but in a different way. It is based on the idea that particles have definite positions and trajectories, even at the quantum level. The Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics are equivalent in their ability to predict the outcomes of quantum experiments, but they differ in their underlying assumptions about the nature of reality.</p><h2>2. How does the Von Neumann measurement process differ from the Bohmian measurement process?</h2><p>In the Von Neumann measurement process, the act of measurement causes the collapse of the wave function, resulting in a definite outcome. This is known as the "measurement problem" in quantum mechanics. In Bohmian mechanics, the measurement process is seen as a combination of the particle's trajectory and the measurement apparatus, without any collapse of the wave function. This avoids the measurement problem, but introduces the concept of non-locality, where the behavior of one particle can affect the behavior of another particle instantaneously.</p><h2>3. What is the role of the wave function in both the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>The wave function is a central concept in both the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics. In the Von Neumann QM rules, the wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. In Bohmian mechanics, the wave function is not just a mathematical tool, but is seen as a physical entity that guides the motion of particles. However, in both interpretations, the wave function is not directly observable and only serves as a mathematical description of the quantum system.</p><h2>4. Can the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics be experimentally distinguished?</h2><p>No, the predictions of both interpretations are identical and cannot be experimentally distinguished. This is known as the "equivalence thesis" and is supported by numerous experiments. However, the two interpretations have different philosophical implications and assumptions about the nature of reality, which cannot be tested experimentally.</p><h2>5. How has the debate between the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics evolved over time?</h2><p>The debate between the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics has evolved over time, with both interpretations gaining and losing popularity at different points. Initially, the Von Neumann QM rules were the dominant interpretation, but in the 1950s, Bohmian mechanics gained attention. In the 1970s, the Von Neumann QM rules regained popularity with the development of the many-worlds interpretation. Today, both interpretations are still actively debated and researched, with no consensus on which is the "correct" interpretation of quantum mechanics.</p>

1. What are the Von Neumann QM rules and how do they relate to Bohmian mechanics?

The Von Neumann QM rules are a set of mathematical rules that describe the behavior of quantum systems, including the wave function collapse and measurement process. These rules were developed by John von Neumann in the 1930s. Bohmian mechanics is an alternative interpretation of quantum mechanics that also describes the behavior of quantum systems, but in a different way. It is based on the idea that particles have definite positions and trajectories, even at the quantum level. The Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics are equivalent in their ability to predict the outcomes of quantum experiments, but they differ in their underlying assumptions about the nature of reality.

2. How does the Von Neumann measurement process differ from the Bohmian measurement process?

In the Von Neumann measurement process, the act of measurement causes the collapse of the wave function, resulting in a definite outcome. This is known as the "measurement problem" in quantum mechanics. In Bohmian mechanics, the measurement process is seen as a combination of the particle's trajectory and the measurement apparatus, without any collapse of the wave function. This avoids the measurement problem, but introduces the concept of non-locality, where the behavior of one particle can affect the behavior of another particle instantaneously.

3. What is the role of the wave function in both the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics?

The wave function is a central concept in both the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics. In the Von Neumann QM rules, the wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. In Bohmian mechanics, the wave function is not just a mathematical tool, but is seen as a physical entity that guides the motion of particles. However, in both interpretations, the wave function is not directly observable and only serves as a mathematical description of the quantum system.

4. Can the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics be experimentally distinguished?

No, the predictions of both interpretations are identical and cannot be experimentally distinguished. This is known as the "equivalence thesis" and is supported by numerous experiments. However, the two interpretations have different philosophical implications and assumptions about the nature of reality, which cannot be tested experimentally.

5. How has the debate between the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics evolved over time?

The debate between the Von Neumann QM rules and Bohmian mechanics has evolved over time, with both interpretations gaining and losing popularity at different points. Initially, the Von Neumann QM rules were the dominant interpretation, but in the 1950s, Bohmian mechanics gained attention. In the 1970s, the Von Neumann QM rules regained popularity with the development of the many-worlds interpretation. Today, both interpretations are still actively debated and researched, with no consensus on which is the "correct" interpretation of quantum mechanics.