Von Nuemann Stability Analysis CN scheme

In summary, Von Neumann Stability Analysis is a mathematical method used for determining the stability of numerical methods in solving differential equations. It involves analyzing the growth or decay of small perturbations in the numerical solution. The CN scheme, a second-order accurate implicit method, is commonly used in this analysis. By expressing the numerical solution as a Fourier series and analyzing the resulting amplification factor, the stability of the scheme can be determined. Stability analysis is important to ensure accurate and reliable results, as an unstable method can lead to incorrect solutions and errors. However, there are limitations to Von Neumann Stability Analysis, such as assuming linearity, time-independence, and constant coefficients in the differential equation being solved, as well as small perturbations.
edge333

Homework Statement

Perform a von Nueman stability analysis for the Crank-Nicholson FTCS scheme for the following ADE:

dc/dt + u dc/dx = D d2c/dx2 - kc

where c is the concentration of interest, u is the advecting velocity and D is the dispersion coefficient.

We used a general forward time, centered space numerical scheme to solve the above partial differential equation ( θ = 0.5 Crank-Nicholson)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got through most of the stability analysis including substituting in the errors for the finite difference approximation and solving for the value G:

G = [itex]\frac{1 - i 0.5 \frac{u Δt}{Δx} sin (β Δx) + \frac{D Δt}{Δx^{2}} (cos (β Δx) - 2) - 0.5k }{1+ i 0.5 \frac{u Δt}{Δx} sin (β Δx) - \frac{D Δt}{Δx^{2}} (cos (β Δx) - 2) - 0.5k }[/itex]

My question is, how do I eliminate the imaginary number term in the denominator, so that I may square G to determine whether it is less than 1 and thus stable? Do I use complex conjugates? If so, how? There are so many terms in the denominator that it just looks nightmare-ish.

Physics news on Phys.org

To eliminate the imaginary number term in the denominator, you can use the conjugate of the complex number in the denominator. The conjugate of a complex number a+bi is a-bi. In this case, you can multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which will result in the elimination of the imaginary number in the denominator. The resulting expression will still be complex, but you can then square it and take the absolute value to determine stability.

1. What is Von Neumann Stability Analysis?

Von Neumann Stability Analysis is a mathematical method used to determine the stability of numerical methods for solving differential equations. It involves analyzing the growth or decay of small perturbations in the numerical solution.

2. What is the CN scheme in Von Neumann Stability Analysis?

The CN (Crank-Nicolson) scheme is a finite difference method commonly used in the numerical solution of parabolic partial differential equations. It is an implicit method that is second-order accurate in both time and space.

3. How is Von Neumann Stability Analysis used to analyze the CN scheme?

In Von Neumann Stability Analysis, the numerical solution is expressed as a Fourier series and substituted into the difference equations of the CN scheme. By analyzing the behavior of the resulting amplification factor, the stability of the scheme can be determined.

4. What is the significance of stability analysis in numerical methods?

Stability analysis is important because it ensures that the numerical solution of a differential equation remains bounded and does not grow uncontrollably. A stable numerical method produces accurate and reliable results, while an unstable method can lead to incorrect solutions and numerical errors.

5. Are there any limitations to Von Neumann Stability Analysis?

Yes, Von Neumann Stability Analysis assumes that the differential equation being solved is linear, time-independent, and has constant coefficients. It also assumes that the perturbations are small. These assumptions may not hold for all types of differential equations and can limit the applicability of this method.