1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Von Nuemann Stability Analysis CN scheme

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Perform a von Nueman stability analysis for the Crank-Nicholson FTCS scheme for the following ADE:

dc/dt + u dc/dx = D d2c/dx2 - kc

where c is the concentration of interest, u is the advecting velocity and D is the dispersion coefficient.

We used a general forward time, centered space numerical scheme to solve the above partial differential equation ( θ = 0.5 Crank-Nicholson)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got through most of the stability analysis including substituting in the errors for the finite difference approximation and solving for the value G:

G = [itex]\frac{1 - i 0.5 \frac{u Δt}{Δx} sin (β Δx) + \frac{D Δt}{Δx^{2}} (cos (β Δx) - 2) - 0.5k }{1+ i 0.5 \frac{u Δt}{Δx} sin (β Δx) - \frac{D Δt}{Δx^{2}} (cos (β Δx) - 2) - 0.5k }[/itex]

My question is, how do I eliminate the imaginary number term in the denominator, so that I may square G to determine whether it is less than 1 and thus stable? Do I use complex conjugates? If so, how? There are so many terms in the denominator that it just looks nightmare-ish.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?