Vortex Panel Method: Solving for \theta_{ij}

In summary: I have been applying the vortex panel method to airfoils, but I am not sure what I am supposed to do for i = j. Do you know what I am supposed to do?
sid_galt
In the vortex panel method the following equation is used
[tex]
V_{freestream}sin \beta_i - \sum_{j=1}^n \displaystyle\frac{\lambda_i}{2\pi} \int \displaystyle\frac{d\theta_{ij}}{dn_i} ds_j = 0[/tex]

where n is the panel number, i is the control point at which the vortex strength is being calculated and j is the panel which is inducing some vortex at i, [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] is the vortex strength at i and

[tex] \theta_{ij} = \arctan{\displaystyle\frac{y_i-y_j}{x_i-x_j}}[/tex]

My question is what is the value of [tex]\theta_{ij}[/tex] when i = j?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does anyone know? What is the value of [tex]\theta_{ij}[/tex] when i = j?

For source panels I have read it is [tex]\frac{\lambda_i}{2}[/tex]. But I don't know what it is for vortex panels.

According to my reference, your original equation is incorrect. It should have cosBeta to the right of Vfreestream. Also, the subscript on lambda should be [j], not what your equation shows.

Both source panel and vortex panel methods are numerical methods for flows over arbitrary shapes. But because the source panel method has zero circulation it only applies to non-lifting cases. Vortex panel method can be used for lifting cases. The idea behind both methods is to treat the surface as if it were a streamline, i.e. a physical surface does not exist, it is replaced by a flow line. A source panel achieves this by balancing the dynamic pressure of the onrushing flow with an infinitesimal flow source on a surface, which exerts an outward pressure against it. Like air hockey. The table is a set of source panels balancing the weight per unit area of the puck. But try to imagine this system without the table (the table doesn't exist), just the sources. And the puck is the freestream airflow impinging on the source panels.

To answer your question, at least attempt to, these methods are numerical. To obtain a solution for i = j is the whole point of the method. The solution is physically the contribution of all the panels to the potential at the control point of the ith panel.

Just out of curiosity, what are you applying this method to?

Last edited:
You may want to check out the resources listed here:

http://www.aae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads.html

In particular, see the online utility posted by Professor Kevin Jones of the Naval Postgraduate School:

http://www.aa.nps.navy.mil/~jones/online_tools/panel/about/

He even posts his source code (in FORTRAN). If all else fails, perhaps running your question by him might provide an answer.

Regards,

DuncanM
http://www.rocketscientists.ca/

Last edited by a moderator:
InfernoSun said:
According to my reference, your original equation is incorrect. It should have cosBeta to the right of Vfreestream. Also, the subscript on lambda should be [j], not what your equation shows.

Ya, I realized that a few days after posting the question

Just out of curiosity, what are you applying this method to?

To airfoils. To be more precise, I am trying to create a Java program to implement this method.
Thank you for the reply.

DuncanM said:
You may want to check out the resources listed here:

http://www.aae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads.html

In particular, see the online utility posted by Professor Kevin Jones of the Naval Postgraduate School:

http://www.aa.nps.navy.mil/~jones/online_tools/panel/about/

He even posts his source code (in FORTRAN). If all else fails, perhaps running your question by him might provide an answer.

Regards,

DuncanM
http://www.rocketscientists.ca/

Thank you for the links. The second one is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Vortex Panel Method?

The Vortex Panel Method is a numerical technique used to solve for the circulation distribution around a body in a fluid flow. It is based on the concept of representing the body as a series of panels, each with a vortex sheet and unknown circulation strength, and solving for the circulation distribution on each panel to accurately predict the flow behavior.

2. How does the Vortex Panel Method work?

The Vortex Panel Method works by dividing the body into a series of panels and calculating the influence of each panel on the neighboring panels. This is done by solving for the unknown circulation strength on each panel using a system of equations based on the Kutta-Joukowski condition and the equation for the flow tangency at the panel’s midpoint. These equations are then solved iteratively until a converged solution is obtained.

3. What is \theta_{ij} in the Vortex Panel Method?

\theta_{ij} represents the angle between the normal vector of panel i and the position vector between panel i and panel j. It is used in the calculation of the flow tangency at the midpoint of each panel, which is an important component of the Vortex Panel Method.

4. What are the advantages of using the Vortex Panel Method?

One of the main advantages of the Vortex Panel Method is its ability to accurately predict the flow behavior around bodies of complex shapes, such as airfoils. It is also a relatively simple and efficient method compared to other numerical techniques, making it a popular choice for analyzing fluid flows in various engineering applications.

5. What are the limitations of the Vortex Panel Method?

While the Vortex Panel Method is a useful tool for predicting flow behavior, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the flow is two-dimensional and inviscid, meaning it does not take into account the effects of viscosity and three-dimensional flow. It also requires a high number of panels to accurately represent complex geometries, which can be computationally expensive.