Challenges in Implementing McCormic's Vortex Theory of Propellers

In summary, the conversation was about the difficulties the individual was facing while attempting to perform the iterative procedure outlined in McCormic's textbook for the vortex theory of propellers. They were specifically struggling with getting the tangential velocity relative to tip speed after the first iteration, as a part of the equation involved a sqrt expression times x - wt/vt where x is the relative radial position. One of the individuals in the conversation suggested not computing inside the hub and shaft and explained how the tangential velocity falls to zero while the axial traveling velocity remains as you approach the shaft axis. The individual thanked them for their help and mentioned eliminating the relative radial positions of the blade and understanding the expected results. They also mentioned that the program is running much smoother now
Antonio9393
Hello all,

I have been attempting to perform the iterative procedure outlined in McCormic's textbook (1995) for the vortex theory of propellers. However, I have become stumped when attempting to get tangential velocity relative to tip speed after the first iteration as a part of the equation is the sqrt of an expresión times x - wt/vt where x is relative radial position. When getting close to the hub, x becomes too small, and I get an imaginary number. Does anyone have any useful thoughts? I will attempt to start the program from scratch again tomorrow

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not have a copy of that textbook and am not sure exactly which version of vortex theory you are using, but the propeller has a hub where it attaches to the shaft. You should not need to compute inside the hub and shaft. As you approach the shaft axis the tangential velocity falls to zero while the axial traveling velocity remains. I do not know the orientation of your coordinate system so I cannot go further than that.

Last edited:
Likes Antonio9393
Think you very much for your help. Eliminating the relativa radial positions of the blade that ranged from 0 to 0.1 makes sense. Your explanation on the tangential and axial components of the resultant flow also was of great help as it helped me understand the expected results. I'll keep you posted on my progess but already the program is running much smoother

Likes Baluncore

What is the vortex theory of propellers?

The vortex theory of propellers is a mathematical model used to study the performance of propellers. It explains how a propeller creates thrust by generating vortices, or rotating air masses, which are responsible for the lift and drag forces on the propeller.

How does the vortex theory of propellers differ from other theories?

The vortex theory is considered to be a more accurate and comprehensive model compared to other theories, such as the blade element theory. It takes into account the entire propeller and its interactions with the surrounding air, rather than just individual blade elements.

What factors can affect the vortex theory of propellers?

The vortex theory is influenced by various factors, including the angle of attack, blade shape and size, air density, and rotational speed of the propeller. These factors can impact the strength and location of the vortices, and ultimately, the propeller's performance.

What are the limitations of the vortex theory of propellers?

Like any mathematical model, the vortex theory has some limitations. It assumes an idealized scenario and does not account for factors such as blade flexibility, surface roughness, and non-uniform inflow conditions. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the predicted performance of the propeller.

How is the vortex theory of propellers used in practical applications?

The vortex theory is widely used in the design and optimization of propellers for various applications, such as aircraft, ships, and wind turbines. It allows engineers to predict and improve the performance and efficiency of propellers by adjusting parameters such as blade shape, number of blades, and rotational speed.