Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE GROUP 2 - Icons

VOTE GROUP 2 - Icons

Poll closed Oct 30, 2006.
  1. ZapperZ

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Moonbear

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. hypnagogue

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. cyrusabdollahi

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Integral

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. GeoMike

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Oct 25, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please vote for the picture that BEST REPRESENTS the theme of this contest. The picture must be a well-known icon that is identifiable with a particular location, city, or country.

You have one vote for each group in this contest.

1. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

2. Moonbear
    [​IMG]

3. hypnagogue
    [​IMG]

4. cyrusabdollahi
    [​IMG]

5. Integral
    [​IMG]

6. GeoMike
    [​IMG]

Contest thread

Zz.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Couldn't not vote for Integral, even in spite of the interesting quality, and I think back to frount as well, incredible!

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    It was between Zz and Geomike for me but in the end I went with Zz, that sign is in so many movies and stuff it really is an icon

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went with hypnagogue. Zz's was too easy :biggrin:. I considered Cyrus' photo, but it's just a bit blurry, and with such a close competition, I had to exclude it for that, otherwise that's definitely a good icon. I liked the idea of Integral's being something that can no longer be reproduced, except I still don't know what or where it is...did he tell us and I forgot, or did he assume we'd all know? :uhh: But, I guess not recognizing the scene weakened the icon status. I really liked GeoMike's too...I love lighthouse pictures and the blues of the sky and water are so pretty, and I love the rocky shorelines of Maine, but the more creative choice of Hyp's won me over.

6. Oct 25, 2006 #5

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I do think it has been reversed:smile:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo's_Piet%C3%A0

7. Oct 25, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HOLY SMOKES! It may very well be reversed. I always had trouble getting the slides in the projector the right way. Why would that change change when it has been 30 yrs since I took the picture and propably 20 since I have had a working slide projector! I will have to play with my image editors to see if I can mirror it!
    Yes, that is the Pieta, taken in St Peters around 1972,

8. Oct 26, 2006 #7

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Risking sounding too arty, I think the tiny foibles add a lot to your version of an icon about compassion.

9. Oct 26, 2006 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I had to go with GeoMike on this one. I've got a few pictures of Dice Head Light and a couple of others, but nothing this good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?