Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VRLA batteries - charging

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    hello, pozdrav

my question is about Valve Regulated Lead Acid battery. may i charge it only with "float" voltage (cca 2,25 Vpc) or do i have to "boost" it (2,4 Vpc) sometimes? if my battery gets discharged to 20% can i recharge it only with "float" voltage?

i have capacity cca 150Ah, 220V; temperature is ideal 20°

thank you

hvala

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    This a pretty good white-paper on batteries. It says VRLA batteries generally do better at the recommended float voltage, and dont require "equalization" like a flooded lead acid. But I would look at the manufacturer's documentation to be sure.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/SADE-5TNRJR_R2_EN.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    thank you gtacs. this is a good resource. manufacturers documents are a bit confusing, i checked Sonnenschein and EnerSys websites.

it seems that "boost" treatment is not needed for VRLA. that is fine with me, because i had some trouble with overvoltages: boost_voltage x number_of_cells > voltage_tolerance.

thank you, have a nice day

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook