-w8.3.11 int sqrt{x} dx sqrt{1-x}

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the author found that by substituting $\sin^2 \left({u}\right)$ for $\arcsin\left({\sqrt{x}}\right)$ in the equation $I=\int\frac {\sqrt{x}} {\sqrt{1-x}}\ dx$, they were able to simplify the equation.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
w8.3.11 nmh{1000}

$\displaystyle I= \int\frac {\sqrt{x}} {\sqrt{1-x}}\ dx=\arcsin\left({\sqrt{x}}\right)-\sqrt{x}\sqrt{1 - x}+C $
Substitutions $x=\sin^2 \left({u}\right)
\quad dx=2\sin\left({u}\right) \cos\left({u}\right) \ du
\quad u=\arcsin\left({\sqrt{x}}\right)$

This evaluates to $I=2\int\sin^2 \left({u}\right) \ du
= {u}-\sin\left({u}\right) \cos\left({u}\right)$
Back substittute u.. $I=\arcsin\left({\sqrt{x}}\right)-\sqrt{x}\sqrt{1 - x}+C $

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Whitman 8.3.11

$\displaystyle \int\frac {\sqrt{x}} {\sqrt{1-x}}\ dx
=\arcsin\left({\sqrt{x}}\right)-\sqrt{x}\sqrt{1 - x}+C $
By observation was going to use the trig substitution of
$x=\sin^2 \left({u}\right)$
But this may not merit a trig substitution...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{1 - x}}\,\mathrm{d}x } &= -2\int{ \sqrt{x}\,\left( -\frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{1 - x}} \right) \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt{1 - x} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{1 - x}}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2\int{ \sqrt{x}\,\left( -\frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{1 - x}} \right) \,\mathrm{d}x } &= -2\int{ \sqrt{1 - u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u } \end{align*}$

You can now continue with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sin{\left( \theta \right) } \implies \mathrm{d}u = \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta \end{align*}$ to get

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2\int{ \sqrt{1 - u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u } &= -2\int{ \sqrt{1 - \sin^2{\left( \theta \right) }}\,\cos{\left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= -2\int{ \cos^2{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= -2\int{ \frac{1 + \cos{ \left( 2\,\theta \right) }}{2} \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= -\int{ \left[ 1 + \cos{ \left( 2\,\theta \right) } \right] \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= - \left[ \theta + \frac{1}{2}\sin{ \left( 2\,\theta \right) } \right] + C \\ &= - \left[ \theta + \sin{ \left( \theta \right) } \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } \right] + C \\ &= - \left[ \theta + \sin{ \left( \theta \right) } \,\sqrt{ 1 - \sin^2{ \left( \theta \right) } } \right] + C \\ &= - \left[ \arcsin{ \left( u \right) } + u \,\sqrt{ 1 - u^2 } \right] + C \\ &= -\left[ \arcsin{ \left( \sqrt{ 1 - x } \right) } + \sqrt{1 - x} \,\sqrt{ 1 - \left( \sqrt{1 - x} \right) ^2 } \right] + C \\ &= - \left[ \arcsin{ \left( \sqrt{1 - x} \right) } + \sqrt{1 - x} \,\sqrt{ 1 - \left( 1 - x \right) } \right] + C \\ &= - \left[ \arcsin{ \left( \sqrt{1 - x} \right) } + \sqrt{1 - x} \, \sqrt{ x } \right] + C \end{align*}$

OK that is quite helpful a lot of steps tho.
I didn't think I would get a reply so I pursued the OP

Yours would avoid the
$$2\int\sin^2 \left({u}\right) \ du$$ evaluation

1. What is the purpose of the "-w8.3.11" in the equation?

The "-w8.3.11" indicates that the equation is using the Gaussian quadrature rule with 8 points, a weight of 3, and is evaluating on the interval from -1 to 1. This helps to approximate the integral of the function more accurately.

2. What does "int" mean in the equation?

"Int" is short for "integral" and indicates that the equation is solving for the integral of the function.

3. How is "sqrt{x}" different from "sqrt{1-x}" in the equation?

The difference between "sqrt{x}" and "sqrt{1-x}" is the variable being used. In "sqrt{x}", the variable is x, while in "sqrt{1-x}", the variable is 1-x. This means that the function being integrated is different for each term.

4. What is the significance of the "dx" in the equation?

"dx" represents the differential in the integral and indicates that the function is being integrated with respect to x. This means that x is the variable of integration.

5. Can you explain how to solve this equation step-by-step?

The equation is using the Gaussian quadrature rule to approximate the integral of the function, which involves breaking the interval into smaller sub-intervals and using a weighted sum of function evaluations at specific points within each sub-interval. The specific points and weights are determined by the rule, and then the integral is calculated by multiplying the function values by their respective weights and summing them up. It is a more accurate method of numerical integration compared to traditional methods like the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.