WAIT I'm not through whining :-(

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around Evo's computer crashing and losing important data. Suggestions are made for data recovery and backup methods. There are also discussions about Norton software causing issues and suggestions for fixing it. The conversation ends with Evo being sick on his birthday and having to cancel plans with a friend.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
WAIT! I'm not through whining :-(

:cry:

My life was on that computer.

I have some stuff backed up, but not all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind Evo, i will send you a bottle of life.

wolram said:
:rofl:

Evo, there are hard-drive recovery experts who can resurrect your data for you. It might cost you, but it can be done. Then do what I did, and buy a duplicate HD for your PC and mirror the main drive onto the spare. To be really safe, you should buy a USB drive for your most valuable files, copy them onto that, and give the drive to one of your daughters for safe-keeping. That way, if your place burns or your PC is stolen, your data is in a safe place. My brother-in-law stores some of his files with me for that reason. I have two large fire-rated safes.

I've copied a lot on CD's, and have an online backup. But there is still a lot I know I didn't backup. Yeah, I'm going to get the Nerd Herd to fix it.

MBR and fixboot has saved me a few times--but you need some sharp cheddar

Evo said:
I've copied a lot on CD's, and have an online backup. But there is still a lot I know I didn't backup. Yeah, I'm going to get the Nerd Herd to fix it.

One can jump the HD to slave or cable select and use a USB caddie to read it, unless the FAT is hosed, which hopefully didn't happen. Also FileScavenger is pretty good recovery tool.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm - FileScavenger.

wolram said:
Just copy it from yours to hers - but make sure you know if you deleted yours!

What happened? Gah, I hate missing a few days on the damn forum...

Then stick to this forum -- it has no metaphysical curses attached!

Evo said:
Nerd Herd

Ha, our science teacher refers to all the freshman Pre-AP science students (me included) as the Nerd Herd.

Evo, this is why I have been telling you to post all of your photos on the internet. But you would never listen to me. You just kept calling me names. Well, who's the "pervert" now Evo, huh?

I hope your hard drive didnt have a mechanical failure. Mine did. They said they had to open it up to recover the data and I would cost almost a grand (For ever 500MB!), so I was like meh oh well.

Its not going to be cheap.

Cyrus said:
so I was like meh oh well.

Ha ha, did you drop a "meh" just because this is a tech related thread.

Meh is a tech term now?

Well, net related I always thought...

Its just the sound people make when they shrug their shoulders because they don't care, mehhhhhhhhhh (shrug).

Tom Mattson said:
Evo, this is why I have been telling you to post all of your photos on the internet. But you would never listen to me. You just kept calling me names. Well, who's the "pervert" now Evo, huh?
I know, all my <cough> pictures. :frown: Can you tell the Nerds not to look at the pictures when they restore the files? I mean, that is, if I had any such pictures, which <cough> of course I don't.

Ok, and now I have The Evo Child's computer and her Norton had just expired so I renewed it. It killed my computer. It boots, the icons are on the desktop for a fraction of a second, just long enough for me to hit the IE icon before they vanish, then the destop is completely blank, not even a start button, no tool bar at the bottom, nada, zip, zilch, squat.

I have been on the phone with Norton for an hour and now they just told me that they have no idea how to fix it. They told me to call Microsoft. Well, Microsoft is going to tell me that Norton's software is hosed up and there's nothing that they can do.

I AM CURSED!

I have a headache.

I NEED SOME LOVE PEOPLE!

Evo said:
I know, all my <cough> pictures. :frown: Can you tell the Nerds not to look at the pictures when they restore the files? I mean, that is, if I had any such pictures, which <cough> of course I don't.

Ok, and now I have The Evo Child's computer and her Norton had just expired so I renewed it. It killed my computer. It boots, the icons are on the desktop for a fraction of a second, just long enough for me to hit the IE icon before they vanish, then the destop is completely blank, not even a start button, no tool bar at the bottom, nada, zip, zilch, squat.

I have been on the phone with Norton for an hour and now they just told me that they have no idea how to fix it. They told me to call Microsoft. Well, Microsoft is going to tell me that Norton's software is hosed up and there's nothing that they can do.

I AM CURSED!

I have a headache.

I NEED SOME LOVE PEOPLE!

You should be able to start up in safe mode to get rid of Norton. But you'll have to ask one of the nerds or geeks how to do that because I can't remember which button you press while it's starting.

Moonbear said:
You should be able to start up in safe mode to get rid of Norton. But you'll have to ask one of the nerds or geeks how to do that because I can't remember which button you press while it's starting.
I can't get into safe mode, but it might be that my F8 key isn't working.

I guess I am just going to call the Nerd Herd tomorrow. :frown:

Uh, more to whine about. A good friend is flying here on my birthday. It's work related. But I'm too sick and exhausted to go out with him. I offered him the Evo Child to go as my proxy. I am NOT letting anyone see me looking like a sickly racoon.

Last edited:
Ha, stick it to the man! Don't use Norton, use AVG, I love it, so much easier, and free.

Evo said:
I can't get into safe mode, but it might be that my F8 key isn't working.

I guess I am just going to call the Nerd Herd tomorrow. :frown:

Well, if you hadn't spewed your coffee on it so many times, your keyboard might still work. I'm sure the Nerd Herd is going to open up your computer and immediately point at all the dried up coffee in it as the cause of all your problems. :rolleyes:

To reboot and change boot order, as well as a Safe Mode start, you can usually press Esc or f12. Try them out, and look in the manual.

binzing said:
To reboot and change boot order, as well as a Safe Mode start, you can usually press Esc or f12. Try them out, and look in the manual.
I tried escape, I tried F1, I tried F10, couldn't get to safe mode on any of those.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am so freeking clever to have managed to get IE open, I'd be on the news tonight, and it wouldn't be pretty.

Moonbear said:
Well, if you hadn't spewed your coffee on it so many times, your keyboard might still work. I'm sure the Nerd Herd is going to open up your computer and immediately point at all the dried up coffee in it as the cause of all your problems. :rolleyes:
I told the Evo child "bring me your keyboard". :grumpy: I've got some barbecued pork in those keys.

So, your doing this from the bad computer? WTF mate (End of Ze World-youtube it, its great)

There is no way for the data to be lost on the HD unless it's properly formatted or hit with a hammer.

If you can boot from another HD or a CD it would be possible to peak into the HD.

binzing said:
So, your doing this from the bad computer? WTF mate (End of Ze World-youtube it, its great)
No, this is the NEW computer, Norton killed it. :mad:

Evo said:
No, this is the NEW computer, Norton killed it. :mad:

If Norton killed it, how exactly are you posting from it? :confused:

*cuts Evo off from the Nyquil*

Moonbear said:
If Norton killed it, how exactly are you posting from it? :confused:

*cuts Evo off from the Nyquil*
The desktop is completely blank, notthing in the bar at the bottom, no "start" button, can't access anything.

But for a split second when the desktop opens, if I click on the IE icon before it disappears, I can get online.

<takes back the bottle of Nyquil>

Do you have a Windows CD handy Evo?

B. Elliott said:
Do you have a Windows CD handy Evo?
I gave them to my daughter, and she probably lost them.

Evo said:
I gave them to my daughter, and she probably lost them.

:frown: I was about to say you could let it run a windows repair. If I was a little better at my computer voodoo I could maybe let you run the repair from one of my computers. I'm not even sure if its possible to be honest. Hopefully she still has it.

B. Elliott said:
Hopefully she still has it.
You don't know my daughter. She left a $400 brand new vacuum cleaner in her old apartment because she didn't feel like going back for it, along with dvd players, expensive kitchen ware and appliances, linens, etc... You think she botherd to move installation cd's? :frown: She *did* move her nail polish. She *does* have priorities.

Evo said:
You don't know my daughter. She left a $400 brand new vacuum cleaner in her old apartment because she didn't feel like going back for it, along with dvd players, expensive kitchen ware and appliances, linens, etc... You think she botherd to move installation cd's? :frown: She *did* move her nail polish. She *does* have priorities.

Damn, I didnt know Gucci was making vacuum cleaners these days.