Why Do We Pace When Talking on the Phone?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
In summary: I think I do it to see if the person on the other end can hear me breathing...In summary, people pace back and forth when they're talking on the phone because it is easier on the legs than standing still, and waving arms and yelling are also part of the communication process.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Why do people pace back and forth when they're talking on the phone?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it is only Americans that do with land lines.

Walking is easier on the legs than standing still... I don't know? I haven't really seen many people pace around on their phones lately...

Moose nailed it, at least in my case. I'd rather sit down, of course, but standing still plays hell with my knees so walking is the second choice.

That's me, I guess, I do one lap per 20 secs around the table in the living room when at the phone. No idea why.

I really don't know why... It's not unique to phone calls. I'm a natural wanderer and will pace up and down while doing all sorts if at all possible. When I can't walk and have to sit I'm normally fidgeting or playing with some nearby object. Maybe when the mind's busy the body wants to feel as if it's doing something too. Since starting typing this I've been getting an irrepressible urge to wander around, so i might go make a cup of tea (and pace up and down the kitchen while the kettle boils).

For exercise, of course.

daniel_i_l said:
Why do people pace back and forth when they're talking on the phone?
add to that waving arms and yelling . . . . in an airport concourse by the gate as people are starting to board! :rolleyes:

I think the guy was talking to his lawyer.

I usually just sit or stand still while on the phone. If I'm moving, it's because I'm trying to do two things at once, like talk and cook dinner or do the dishes or laundry (one of these days I'm likely to wind up with a deep fried or drowned phone when I drop it while doing these chorse). My boyfriend is a pacer though. I tell him he's going to wear a rut in the floor (even on the cell phone, he paces the same path every time)...then I stick my foot out to trip him. :biggrin:

Because they are mobile phones?

When talking to someone, about 7% of communication comes from the spoken word, 38% from the tone of voice, and about 55% from body language.

So I not only pace while talking on the phone, I also wave my arms and sometimes even draw figures of what I'm talking about.

I generally hate talking on the phone, but others usually enjoy watching me talk on the phone so there is some value in it.

BobG said:
So I not only pace while talking on the phone, I also wave my arms and sometimes even draw figures of what I'm talking about.

I guess your mom never explained to you when you were a kid that the person on the other side of the phone can't see you nod? Though, shouldn't be too much longer before video phones are in common usage...we already have video calls on IM. I'll just say it now...when we get video phones everywhere, PLEASE don't answer the phone in the bathroom when I call!

I am a pacer. I sit enough during the course of the day that I like to be on my feet a lot. I have arthritic knees, and it feels better to walk than to stand. I multi-task when I'm on the phone too. We have a an old cordless Toshiba phone with a pretty impressive range, so if a friend or relative calls and is feeling particularly chatty, I may go out on the back deck to watch/listen to birds, or out to the end of the driveway to check the mailbox, or maybe across the road to see how the snow-melt is running off, or (during the season) stroll through the vegetable garden to see if there are bug pests, or if there is more produce to pick.

Seems to be an 'on autopilot' thing now that i think about it. I've just got off the phone. I was sat down when i started the call and it wasn't 'til I hung up that i realized i was standing. I really don't know at what point I got up.

Moonbear said:
I guess your mom never explained to you when you were a kid that the person on the other side of the phone can't see you nod? Though, shouldn't be too much longer before video phones are in common usage...we already have video calls on IM. I'll just say it now...when we get video phones everywhere, PLEASE don't answer the phone in the bathroom when I call!

Yes, but the post-it note sitting in front of me with my own home phone number that I wrote down while reciting it over the phone is surely more effective than nodding. Geez, I don't know why I do that! :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's fun for other people to watch me on the phone. They see me writing down some phone number and, immediately after the phone call, I'm tossing the phone number in the trash. They're thinking (and sometimes commenting), "That must have been a real important phone call. I guess you'll be calling them back real soon."

(About every phone I make, now, I think of this thread.)

Last edited:
I do that.

What are the potential health risks of walking around with a phone?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that walking around with a phone poses any significant health risks. However, some studies have suggested a possible link between long-term mobile phone use and certain types of cancer or neurological disorders. It is recommended to limit the time spent on the phone and use hands-free options when possible.

Can walking around with a phone affect my posture?

Yes, constantly looking down at a phone while walking can put strain on the neck and spine, leading to poor posture and potential long-term effects. It is important to take breaks and maintain good posture while using a phone.

Is it safe to walk around with a phone while crossing the street or driving?

No, it is not safe to use a phone while crossing the street or driving. It can distract you from your surroundings and increase the risk of accidents. It is important to put the phone away and focus on the task at hand when walking or driving.

Can walking around with a phone affect my sleep?

Yes, the blue light emitted from phones can disrupt the production of melatonin, the hormone that helps regulate sleep. It is recommended to avoid using phones before bedtime or use a blue light filter to minimize the impact on sleep.

Are there any benefits to walking around with a phone?

Yes, walking around with a phone can provide a convenient way to stay connected with others, access useful information, and even track fitness goals. However, it is important to balance phone use with breaks and limit screen time for overall well-being.