Want to know how experiments were performed through history

In summary: SmithThis book goes into depth about the experiments that have been done in modern physics. It is a great starting point for someone who wants to know more about the history of physics and the development of the field.
christian0710
Hi, I'm so hungrey for learning about the history of physics and chemeistry and learning how the experiments werer performed throughout history (The actualy experimental setup, and how the equations were derived). Are there any good boks to be recommended? There must be some books that actually explain the experimental setups in physics and chemistry throughout history (from Greek belief to Quantum phyiscs and special relativity) and how the equations were derived?

Likes vanhees71 and micromass
Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
Hi, I'm so hungrey for learning about the history of physics and chemeistry and learning how the experiments werer performed throughout history (The actualy experimental setup, and how the equations were derived). Are there any good boks to be recommended? There must be some books that actually explain the experimental setups in physics and chemistry throughout history (from Greek belief to Quantum phyiscs and special relativity) and how the equations were derived?
Sounds like a great title for an unwritten book.

christian0710 said:
There are secrets; otherwise, everybody would be out of a career.

John F. Gogo said:
We still live in the times where recipes rule.

John F. Gogo said:
Secrets? Why keep it a secret? I thought the whole point of chemistry and physics was to discover how the world works. If these "Secrets" were made available to everyone, people might have the ability to come up with great ideas or debunk other theories throught experiment. Most of what we learn from textbooks in university is how to quickly memorize facts ,because there is so much we need to learn in a short amount of time - It's so boring and uninspiring. I don't see how anyone profits from keeping already discovered experiments secret from each? It just slows down everything. Someone must know? Then again, I live a poor mans life and love to share my knowledge for free. All i really need is clean water, food, cellphone, computer and a small place to live, everything else is just frivolous luxury.Hiding things from people or trying to outpreform other people has always made me feel quite miserable, disconnected and cold, but helping people understand something they had a hard time understanding makes me happy.

I think i found some books that actually go into depth with the experiments/reasoning so i thought I'd share the titles with people of same curiosity as me. However It's only from reading peoples reviews that i think they go into depth with the actual experiments. I'd have to read them first to judge myself. Maybe some of you already know these books? Books
Asimov's New Guide to Science - Isaac Asimov
The development of modern chemistry - Aron J
Journey Through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics

John F. Gogo said:
Nonsense. Physical experiments are described in publications, with the purpose of getting repeated by others (if you are the only one to do an experiment, nobody will believe your results).

Old publications are a good starting point, for important experiments they are often available in the internet.

mfb said:
Nonsense. Physical experiments are described in publications, with the purpose of getting repeated by others (if you are the only one to do an experiment, nobody will believe your results).

Old publications are a good starting point, for important experiments they are often available in the internet.
Every generation of scientists invent different symbols to describe the same sets of previous circumstances -that which is exclusive and most meaningful to the present educated generation. Every structured occupation does this.

mfb said:

Thank you, I'll try finding some online as well as read good books from amazon.

I think i found another good book. I'll keep looking!

Experiments in Modern Physics - Adrian C

1. How did scientists perform experiments before modern technology?

Before modern technology, scientists relied on manual tools and instruments to perform experiments. They also used natural resources such as plants and animals for their research.

2. Were ethics considered in historical experiments?

Ethics were not always considered in historical experiments, as the concept of ethical standards in scientific research was not well-developed until modern times. However, some scientists did have moral and ethical concerns and took measures to minimize harm to human subjects or animals.

3. Did historical experiments always follow the scientific method?

The scientific method, a systematic approach to research, was not always followed in historical experiments. Some scientists conducted experiments based on trial and error, intuition, or religious beliefs.

4. How did scientists document their experiments in the past?

In the past, scientists documented their experiments through handwritten notes, sketches, and illustrations. They also communicated their findings through letters, books, and lectures.

5. What were some common challenges faced by scientists in historical experiments?

Some common challenges faced by scientists in historical experiments include limited resources and materials, lack of technology and equipment, and societal or religious opposition to their research. They also had to deal with the risk of failure and the pressure to produce results.