1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to pursue phd in chem e; 3.5 GPA

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    I'm going to get a BS in chem e from a top 30 engineering school, and I really want to further my education in polymers in the SF bay area (eg. stanford or berkeley). However, I'm worried about my GPA - 3.50 (3.61 eng core), and GRE score (148V, 154Q practice test that I rushed through in 1/2 the time allowed). I speculate that I can definitely score higher on the GRE if I study some vocab, and practice the math section.

I do have several years of research experience, and I will have 2 publications in good journals. I also TA general chemistry. It's really hard to gauge whether my research experience is really good or just average.

After some searching, I found that stanford's graduate program consistently has an average GPA of ~3.73, and GRE of (600+V; 760+Q). Going off by the information I have provided, should I even waste my time and money applying to these schools? Or should I place my stake on UCLA?

I'm also interested in UT-Austin

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted