Wanted: Band Offsets for Quantum Wells

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding conduction band offsets for semiconducting quantum wells, specifically GaAs/AlGaAs and CdTe/CdMgTe. The person is looking for a reference with tabulated values for these offsets. They also clarify that by offsets, they mean the potential barrier height of the well. A possible reference suggested is Cardona and Yu.
BeauGeste
Hi,

Really having a hard time finding conduction band offsets for semiconducting quantum wells - specifically GaAs/AlGaAs and CdTe/CdMgTe. I've heard 0.1 and 0.3 eV for AlGaAs and haven't seen anything on CdTe. Does anybody know of a reference where I could find these tabulated.
Thanks a lot.

btw. by offsets I mean the potential barrier height of the well - i.e. finite square well potential

Physics news on Phys.org
If memory serves me correctly, the band offset for the GaAs/AlGaAs is a 60/40 split of the energy gap. Not too sure about the other system, in addition, I am not sure if CdTe/CdMgTe is type I or II.

I'd check Cardona and Yu and see where they lead you.

I would suggest looking into peer-reviewed journal articles or conference papers that specifically focus on the band offsets of GaAs/AlGaAs and CdTe/CdMgTe quantum wells. These types of studies often include detailed data and analysis on the conduction band offsets. Additionally, consulting with experts in the field or reaching out to authors of relevant papers may also provide valuable information. It is important to carefully evaluate the sources and methods used to determine the band offsets, as they may vary depending on experimental conditions and theoretical models.

What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a structure in which a thin layer (typically nanometers in thickness) of one material is sandwiched between two layers of a different material. This creates a potential well for electrons, allowing them to be confined in the layer and exhibit quantum effects.

Why is it important to determine band offsets for quantum wells?

Band offsets are important for understanding the electronic properties of quantum wells and how they interact with other materials. They also play a crucial role in determining the efficiency of devices such as transistors and lasers that use quantum wells.

How are band offsets for quantum wells measured?

Band offsets can be determined experimentally through techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, capacitance-voltage measurements, and internal photoemission spectroscopy. Theoretical calculations using quantum mechanical models can also be used to estimate band offsets.

What factors affect band offsets for quantum wells?

The band offsets for a quantum well can be influenced by a number of factors, including the materials used, the thickness of the layers, the crystal orientation of the layers, and the strain between the layers. Temperature and electric fields can also affect band offsets.

Can band offsets for quantum wells be engineered?

Yes, band offsets can be engineered by choosing specific materials and layer thicknesses in the quantum well structure. This allows for control over the electronic properties and performance of devices that use quantum wells.