Warp Space Travel: Is the Light Always Ahead?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of warping space and using a warp drive on a spaceship. The question is raised about the speed of light and whether it would still be perceived as relative if a flashlight was shined off the front of the ship. The answer is unclear, but it is noted that the spaceship would not travel faster than the speed of light within the warp bubble. The concept is based on the Alcubierre drive, and more information can be found on Wikipedia.
qwerty1
ok last dumb question for tonight i promise... i have read that you can theoretically warp space (on paper not in a lab). let's say we built a warp drive however... if you were traveling through warped space say on the enterprise and shined a flashlight off the front of the ship would it still be relative off the bow (wave shift?) or would you keep catching up to it as you warped the next bits of space in front of you?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a moot question but I don't know the answer.

Beam me up, Scottie !

I think in the context of an alcubierre warp drive if you shine a light ahead of you, you should still perceive the light to move at c (at least for a short while). Within the bubble, at least, the spaceship does not travel faster than the speed of light, so we expect observers to find the time locally minkowski. At the boundaries, however, the question is trickier and I don't know the answer.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive For the scheme I'm referring to.

Related to Warp Space Travel: Is the Light Always Ahead?

1. What is warp space travel?

Warp space travel is a theoretical concept that involves manipulating the fabric of space-time to travel faster than the speed of light. This would allow for interstellar travel and potentially enable humans to explore distant galaxies.

2. How does warp space travel work?

The exact mechanics of warp space travel are still unknown, as it is a theoretical concept. However, it is based on the idea of creating a "warp bubble" around a spacecraft that would contract space-time in front of the ship and expand it behind, effectively allowing the ship to move through space at faster-than-light speeds.

3. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. However, some scientists believe that it may be possible to manipulate space-time in a way that would allow for faster-than-light travel.

4. Is the light always ahead in warp space travel?

In warp space travel, the light would always appear to be ahead due to the contraction of space-time in front of the ship. However, this does not mean that the ship is actually traveling faster than the speed of light, as the light itself is still traveling at the maximum speed allowed by the universe.

5. What are the potential benefits of warp space travel?

If warp space travel becomes a reality, it would revolutionize space exploration and potentially open up new opportunities for interstellar travel and colonization. It could also have practical applications for faster long-distance transportation and communication.