Understanding the Water Battery: A Mystery Explained in Simple Terms

In summary, a water battery is a type of battery that uses water as an electrolyte to generate electricity. It works by separating water into hydrogen and oxygen gas, which then react with metal electrodes to produce electricity. This technology has been known for centuries, but it was not fully understood until recently when scientists discovered that the key to its function lies in the surface tension of the water. By understanding this concept, researchers have been able to improve the efficiency and reliability of water batteries, making them a promising renewable energy source for the future.
Archosaur
Hi, everyone.
I stumbled upon http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6491441475172785592#"

I can't quite figure out how it works, so I figured I'd throw it out to you all.

I got so far as to come to the conclusion that it has to do with a buildup of static electricity and that, since the setup is symmetrical, the direction of the current is determined early on by random imbalances, and doesn't have to be the same direction each time. Also, I've ruled out the triboelectric effect, because the water is only hitting the bottom of the drum in the beginning, but soon, it's just hitting other water.

I say all that just to let you know I took a stab at it before crawling shamelessly to the hive mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. I have no guess that's better than yours though.

This is actually a pretty cool device.

You are correct about the random imbalances. They are caused by dry air which can easily electrify one of the 2 bottomless cans. So basically what happens is that one of those cans gets charged by the air, and it can be either of those cans. The charged can either attracts or repells electrons on the tip of the valve, and when water starts dripping from it, it carries some of the charge with it down to the "trash can". This is connected with the other bottomless paintcan, which gets an opposite charge compared to the first bottomless paintcan. Now this paintcan does the same, only with an opposite charge. The trashcans keep charging up until the voltage between the 2 metal balls is big enough to electrically discharge through air.

The reason why the stream of water spreads is that the water and the bottomless paintcan are oppositely charged. As the charge in the trashcan connected to that paintcan builds up, the bigger the attraction between the dripping water and the paintcan.

I tried to explain shortly, but if you are interested in more details, go to http://amasci.com/emotor/kelvin.html

I'm not really adding to this discussion but I just wanted to say this is mind-bogglingly awesome, and thanks for sharing!

Beautiful, Fawk3s!

Of course! The drops separate! That was the big clue I was missing.
Now that I understand it, the contraption is that much more amazing. Isn't it funny how that works?

Very interesting! I will try to do it myself.
Using two separate water sources would kill the experiment right?

Sakha said:
Very interesting! I will try to do it myself.
Using two separate water sources would kill the experiment right?

Hm I am not sure what you mean. The two drippers taking water from separate sources wouldn't make much difference if I got it right. Just make sure the sources are grounded.

How would I ground it? Connect each water source together? Wouldn't this just cause a charge balance and destroy the experiment?

Charge inbalance is in the target tanks, not in the sources.

Connect sources together and with the earth.

Yes, the charge imbalances in the water sources have nothing to do with the experiment. In order for the water sources to stay neutral you need to either connect them together and one to the ground or both separatedly to the ground.

Of course, as everyone here knows, this is NOT free energy.

Not that it was implied in anyway, but for the casual onlooker thought I might state that.
More energy is required to set-up and maintain the system than the energy derived.

\Anywhoes... cool experiment!

Can someone explain how the water drops "pull off" charges from the nozzles? I understand that the conducting nozzles have charge polarization, but how does that make the water charged when it drips off?

Borek said:
Charge inbalance is in the target tanks, not in the sources.
Doesn't the charge inbalance arise from the firsts drops of water, one of which is more charged than the other and thus start a positive feedback cycle?

Yes, but these are just random fluctuations. Almost all droplets are charged, but they are neutral on avergae. This system uses initial random difference to create a positive fedback, which makes droplets charged on average.

Related to Understanding the Water Battery: A Mystery Explained in Simple Terms

1. How does a water battery work?

A water battery works by using two electrodes made of different materials, such as copper and aluminum, and placing them in a container filled with water and an electrolyte solution. When the electrodes are connected by a wire, a chemical reaction occurs between the electrodes and the electrolyte, producing electricity.

2. What is the advantage of using a water battery over traditional batteries?

The main advantage of using a water battery is that it is more environmentally friendly. Traditional batteries often use toxic chemicals that can harm the environment, while a water battery uses non-toxic materials such as water and salt. Water batteries also have a longer lifespan and can be recharged multiple times.

3. How long does a water battery last?

The lifespan of a water battery depends on the materials used for the electrodes and the quality of the electrolyte solution. On average, a water battery can last for several years with proper maintenance and recharging.

4. Can a water battery be used for large-scale energy storage?

Yes, water batteries can be used for large-scale energy storage. In fact, many companies and researchers are currently exploring the use of water batteries for renewable energy storage, as they are more cost-effective and environmentally friendly compared to traditional batteries.

5. Are there any limitations to using a water battery?

One limitation of using a water battery is its lower energy density compared to traditional batteries, meaning it can store less energy in the same amount of space. Water batteries also require a constant supply of water and may not be suitable for all environments. However, research is ongoing to improve the energy density and efficiency of water batteries.