Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water bending with static electricity

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    thinking about growing cacti in a tropical climate...could i perhaps build a charged scaffold around them to keep most of the rainwater away? if this is possible i might lose the walls i tend to stay in as well by upscaling it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi rudedude. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

You have a couple of neat ideas there. :smile:

But if you are going to put up a sturdy structure I think you may as well give it a retractable roof and it should then better deal with torrential downpours. :approve:

The enemy of electrostatics is .... moisture and humidity. :cry: So I think you'd be facing an uphill battle trying to ward off even gentle showers, let alone steady rain. :cry: When hit by an electrostatic force I believe falling raindrops tend to tear themselves apart into hundreds of tiny droplets, compounding the problem.

Perhaps try growing succulents instead? :tongue:

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook