Water bending with static electricity

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of growing cacti in a tropical climate and the suggestion of building a charged scaffold to protect them from rain. However, it is mentioned that moisture and humidity are enemies of electrostatics and could pose a challenge. The idea of using a retractable roof is also brought up. The suggestion to try growing succulents instead is also given.
rudedude
thinking about growing cacti in a tropical climate...could i perhaps build a charged scaffold around them to keep most of the rainwater away? if this is possible i might lose the walls i tend to stay in as well by upscaling it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rudedude. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

You have a couple of neat ideas there. :smile:

But if you are going to put up a sturdy structure I think you may as well give it a retractable roof and it should then better deal with torrential downpours. :approve:

The enemy of electrostatics is ... moisture and humidity. :cry: So I think you'd be facing an uphill battle trying to ward off even gentle showers, let alone steady rain. :cry: When hit by an electrostatic force I believe falling raindrops tend to tear themselves apart into hundreds of tiny droplets, compounding the problem.

Perhaps try growing succulents instead? :tongue:

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "water bending with static electricity"?

"Water bending with static electricity" is a phenomenon where an electrically charged object is able to manipulate the movement and shape of water. This is possible because the charged object creates an electric field that attracts or repels the polar molecules in water, causing them to move in a specific direction.

2. How does static electricity affect water?

Static electricity affects water by creating an electric field that can attract and repel the polar molecules present in water. This results in the molecules moving in a specific direction, causing the water to bend or move in a particular way.

3. Can anyone perform water bending with static electricity?

Technically, anyone can perform water bending with static electricity as long as they have an electrically charged object and a body of water. However, it requires knowledge and control of the electric field to manipulate the water effectively.

4. Is water bending with static electricity safe?

In general, water bending with static electricity is considered safe as long as the person performing it takes proper precautions. However, there is a risk of electric shock if the charged object is not handled correctly or if the person is in contact with the water while using electricity.

5. What are some real-life applications of water bending with static electricity?

One real-life application of water bending with static electricity is in inkjet printing, where small electric fields are used to manipulate the flow of ink droplets onto paper. It is also used in some industrial processes, such as electrospinning, to create nanofibers. Additionally, some researchers are exploring the potential of using water bending with static electricity in water filtration and desalination technologies.