Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water compressibility volume

Tags:
  1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    I am trying to figure if there is a calculation for working out how much water I would have to pump into a system to increase the pressure.

For example, I have a pipeline which is 2" and 6.5 km long. I worked the volume out using πr² × height so π×0.0254m²×6500m which is 13.17m³.

How do I now determine how much more water I require to increase the pressure to 10 barg?

I know the material of the pipeline matters but I am just looking for a ballpark not exact accuracy. I also know that temperature matters but for this case lets say the temperature remains constant again this is because I require a ballpark figure.

It is for a hydro test (pressure test) of the pipe. we are taking it up to 150% of its design pressure which is 414 barg so 621barg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are tables giving the density of water at different pressures. The difference between the two pressures allows to figure out how much water has to be added at constant volume. If your pipeline expands under pressure, this could be the dominant effect, then you have to know how much it expands.

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3
    Do you know where can i Find these tables?

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Google "water density table", "water density table pressure" or related things?

6. Sep 13, 2015 #5
    Another approach is to use the bulk compressibility of water, which is on the order of 5 x 10-4/MPa.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook