How Much Water is Needed to Increase Pipeline Pressure for a Hydro Test?

In summary: He has already calculated the volume of the pipeline using the formula πr² × height and determined that it is 13.17m³. He is now looking for a way to determine how much more water is needed to increase the pressure to 10 barg. He acknowledges that the material and temperature of the pipeline will affect the calculation, but he is looking for a ballpark figure. Chetan explains that this calculation is for a hydro test of the pipe, where they will be taking the pressure up to 150% of its design pressure, which is 414 barg. He suggests using tables that provide the density of water at different pressures
G Neilson
I am trying to figure if there is a calculation for working out how much water I would have to pump into a system to increase the pressure.

For example, I have a pipeline which is 2" and 6.5 km long. I worked the volume out using πr² × height so π×0.0254m²×6500m which is 13.17m³.

How do I now determine how much more water I require to increase the pressure to 10 barg?

I know the material of the pipeline matters but I am just looking for a ballpark not exact accuracy. I also know that temperature matters but for this case let's say the temperature remains constant again this is because I require a ballpark figure.

It is for a hydro test (pressure test) of the pipe. we are taking it up to 150% of its design pressure which is 414 barg so 621barg

Physics news on Phys.org
There are tables giving the density of water at different pressures. The difference between the two pressures allows to figure out how much water has to be added at constant volume. If your pipeline expands under pressure, this could be the dominant effect, then you have to know how much it expands.

mfb said:
There are tables giving the density of water at different pressures. The difference between the two pressures allows to figure out how much water has to be added at constant volume. If your pipeline expands under pressure, this could be the dominant effect, then you have to know how much it expands.

Do you know where can i Find these tables?

Google "water density table", "water density table pressure" or related things?

Another approach is to use the bulk compressibility of water, which is on the order of 5 x 10-4/MPa.

Chet

What is water compressibility volume?

Water compressibility volume refers to the change in volume of water when subjected to external pressure. It is a measure of how much the volume of water changes in response to applied pressure.

Why is water compressibility volume important?

Water compressibility volume is important because it affects the behavior of water in various natural and industrial processes. It is a crucial factor in understanding the movement and distribution of water in the Earth's oceans, lakes, and rivers. It is also important in engineering designs involving water systems, such as dams and pipelines.

How is water compressibility volume measured?

Water compressibility volume is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a piezometer. This instrument measures the change in water volume in response to applied pressure. The compressibility volume can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the physical properties of water.

What factors affect water compressibility volume?

The compressibility volume of water is affected by several factors, including temperature, salinity, and depth. Generally, as temperature and salinity increase, the compressibility volume of water decreases. Water at greater depths also tends to have a lower compressibility volume due to the increased pressure.

How does water compressibility volume impact marine life?

The compressibility volume of water has a significant impact on marine life. Changes in water volume due to pressure can affect the buoyancy and movement of marine organisms, and can also impact their ability to regulate their internal pressure. Additionally, changes in water compressibility volume can affect the availability of dissolved oxygen, which is essential for many marine species.