1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water flow down a porous channel (Navier-Stokes/Fluid dynamics)

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water flows down a channel whose floor is porous, so that water seeps out of the bottom of the channel at a speed v, where v is constant and much less than the flow speed, U, along the surface of the channel. The seepage rate is slow so that H may be regarded as constant.

The x−component of the Navier-Stokes equation for such a system is

[itex]\nu\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^{2}}+v\frac{du}{dy}+G=0[/itex]

where G is a constant.

Verify (i.e. no need to derive) that the general solution of this equation is

[itex]u=A-\frac{G}{v}y+Be^{-vy/\nu}[/itex]

where A and B are integration constants.
    State clearly what the boundary conditions are that determine A, B and G, and verify that the required solution is:

[itex]u*=\frac{1-Re^{-R}y*-e^{-Ry*}}{1-(R+1)e^{-R}}[/itex]

where u = Uu*, y = Hy* and R = vH/[itex]\nu[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    u(0)=0

u(H)=U

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I managed the first part and have verified that the 2nd eqation is indeed a solution of the first. However, I am having trouble removing the integration constants and G and rearranging to the required equation.

I know that at the top of the channel, u=U so u(H)=U. I'm also assuming that since v is 'much less' than the flow speed we can assum that at the bottom of the path the horizontal flow speed is equivalent to 0 (although I am less sure about this).

So that gives boundary conditions of:
    u(H)=0
    u(0)=0

Using u(0)=0 I can see that A+B=0

I can get an equation for U by using u(H).

However, I can't seem to find any useful way of rearranging these equations to a) remove A B and G or b) look anything like the final equation... I am also not 100% certain my boundary conditions are corect. Attached is a diagam of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    290 views and no-one has any thoughts on this? I'm still completely stumped! I've also just noticed i should say u(H)=U under the attempted solution

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. May 27, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not very familiar with fluid dynamics at all, but here are some thoughts:

Since you have three constants to eliminate, you'll need three equations. Your boundary conditions only give you two. You need to get one more constraint from somewhere.

The condition u(0)=0 is correct — you can see this by setting y*=0 in the provided solution — but your reason for it is wrong. It doesn't have to do with the seepage rate. It's the no-slip condition. The water doesn't slide along the channel floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook