Maximizing Water Flow: Solving the Pump Effect Challenge in Shallow Waters

In summary, the suction hose connected to a pump in an assisting vessel will be submerged to 7 meters of draught and will be used to suck up loose particles on the seabed. The speed of water passing between the seabed and the sucking mouthpiece will be lower than the speed of the water passing between the seabed and the mouthpiece in Q1. A smaller pump would be needed if the pump was placed right behind the sucking mouthpiece on the seabed.
TorMcOst
Dear all,

I have worked with a challenge for two full days now without managing to solve it. I would be MOST grateful if anyone could help me sort out my confusion concerning the problem.

I have a suction hose (100m, Ø 5cm) that is connected to a larger mouthpiece in the end (Ø 30cm). The suction end of the hose is submerged to 7 m draught and the other end are connected to a pump (sucking 60 l/min) in an assisting vessel (2m above surface area). The mouthpiece will be placed 1,5cm from the seabed and are ment to suck up all loose particles on the seabed.

Q1. What will the speed of the water passing between the seabed and the sucking mouthpiece be?

Q2. Would a 60 l/min suction pump be sufficient in order to pump up all loose particles if the sucking mouthpiece were moved over the seabed with 0,7 m/s (still 1,5cm distance between seabed and mouthpiece)?

Q3. How much smaller pump would be needed if the pump was placed right behind the sucking mouthpiece on the seabed?

Thank you very much in advance!

Yours Faithfully,

Tor

Engineering news on Phys.org
Q1.
Q = vA (flow = velocity times area)
v = Q / A
Q = 60 L / min = 1 L / s = 0.001 m^3/s
A (cylinder) = pi * 0.30m * 0.015m = 0.01413 m^2
V = Q / A = 0.071 m /s = 0.25 kph

This is around the rim of the mouthpiece, where the velocity is the highest. Around the inside of the mouth itself the area is pi * r^2 = 0.07 m^2, which is higher so the velocity is lower. Outside of the lip the velocity is also lower. Water is coming in from all directions so the effective area crossing their paths is higher.

Q2. No idea. It depends how fine the particles are, and you'll have to look up some obscure handbook to find the equations. You're probably best off just trying and seeing. But with the low velocity from Q1, you probably won't get much suction at all. Best to lower the mouthpiece a bit and/or make it less wide. A friend of mine had a small aquarium with a small hose with about a meter of pressure (gravity powered) doing the sucking to pick up loose debris. That translates to a velocity of around 4.5 m/s (h = v^2 / 2g, g = 9.8 m/s), so maybe you could use that as a starting point. Just don't exceed a few meters of suction head (also = v^2 / 2g) or you'll get pump cavitation. Depending on suction shape the actual suction head is often half of this or less, but it'll help you ballpark it at least.

Q3. It would be the exact same size. The static head loss is equal to the water surface at the discharge minus the water surface at the suction, which are both the same regardless of the setup. That's assuming you're discharging back into the seabed somewhere else. If you're discharging 2 meters above the seabed into open air, then there's 2 meters you could save simply by running a hose to discharge under water. There's still no need to move the pump.

If it helps you conceptually, think of it this way: Being under 7 meters of water hurts as much at the discharge as it helps at the suction.

Btw, with only a meter or so of head (all from velocity in Q2), you don't need a very powerful pump regardless. 0.001 m^3/s (flow) * 9.8m^2/s (gravity) * 1m (head) * 1000kg/m^3 (water density)= 9.8 Watts. That's at 100% efficiency, actual pumps might be 40-80% efficient. The power will be more if the head is higher than 1 meter. A lot of pumps are rated at 3 meters or more, so you might not be able to find such a small / low pressure pump.

Last edited:
Hi Tor-
The previous answer is very comprehensive, I just want to add that there are some online flow and pressure drop calculators such as this one:
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pressuredrop/index.htm
The calculator indicates that the pressure drop in your 100 m hose is about 0.09 bar (0.09 atm) so there is no problem in the sucking limit of the pump. The Reynolds number in the hose is 1900, which is acceptable. Sounds like you are dredging for gold in the bottom of one of the rivers in California. The choice of mouthpiece will have to be determined by experimentation. You will need a certain minimum flow velocity to loosten the silt you are trying to pick up. Good luck.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I didn't notice the 100m length, that'll add a little pressure loss. For some reason I thought it was a short hose. To convert back and forth between meters of water and other forms of pressure, just find the pressure of a column of water X meters high. For example, 1 meter high of water weighs 9800 N per square meter, which is 9800 Pa or 9.8 kPa or roughly 0.098 atm. So from Bob's calculation that's another meter of pressure for your pump, for 2 meters or about 0.2 atm (rounded) or about 20 kPa total assuming you use 1 meter of pressure for suction (> 4.5 m/s velocity, see my other post above).

1. How does the flow rate of water affect the pump's efficiency?

The flow rate of water is directly related to the pump's efficiency. When the flow rate is too high, the pump has to work harder to move the water, resulting in a decrease in efficiency. On the other hand, when the flow rate is too low, the pump may not be able to operate at its optimal speed, also leading to a decrease in efficiency. It is important to find the right balance for the flow rate to maximize the pump's efficiency.

2. What factors can affect the pump's effect on water flow?

There are several factors that can affect the pump's effect on water flow. These include the type and design of the pump, the power and speed of the motor, the size and shape of the pump's impeller, the viscosity and temperature of the water, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.

3. How can the pump's effect on water flow be measured?

The pump's effect on water flow can be measured by calculating the pump's flow rate, which is the volume of water moved per unit of time. This can be determined by measuring the amount of water displaced or by using a flow meter. The pump's efficiency can also be measured by comparing the input power to the output power, which can be done with a power meter.

4. Can the pump's effect on water flow be improved?

Yes, the pump's effect on water flow can be improved by selecting the right type and size of pump for the specific application, ensuring proper maintenance and upkeep of the pump, and optimizing the flow rate and other operating conditions. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the pump's performance to maintain maximum efficiency.

5. How does the pump's effect on water flow impact other systems or processes?

The pump's effect on water flow can have a significant impact on other systems or processes that rely on the movement of water. For example, if the pump is not functioning properly, it can lead to a decrease in water pressure, which can affect irrigation systems, cooling systems, and other industrial processes. It is important to properly maintain and monitor the pump's effect on water flow to prevent any negative impacts on other systems.