Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water hammer

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Boy do i have water hammer, it sounds like some huge fog horn and is enough to make one jump out of ones pants, it comes unexpectedly, and when i have a bath the hot water dries up to the kitchen sink, the Romans had better plumbing than mine.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That sounds pretty handy. You should take it to the pub with you the next time you're horny.

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could just have a water-logged arrester as well.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6
    If you don't have the cash to buy an arrestor try installing an empty 2 liter soda bottle inline. p.s. I totally made this up and have no idea if it would actually do anything at all.

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7
  9. Apr 23, 2008 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My kids call it "the pipe singer" and they all get real excited when it makes its noise. Tonight it went on for about 30 seconds.

Deja vu. Have I already told this one before?

10. Apr 23, 2008 #9
    Speaking of Deja vu, has there ever been a thread about that occurence?

11. Apr 23, 2008 #10
    glondor wrote: they are not a workable power source yet.

probably not in house pipes, but controlled water hammer is what 'drives' hydraulic ram water pumps.

12. Apr 24, 2008 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

13. Apr 24, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

from Wikipedia - but it's reasonably accurate.

Cavitation may be an initiating factor, by virtue of the cavity (vapor phase) collapse and the rapid development of a wave along a pipe.

If there is a banging in hot water pipes, that could be a check valve abruptly closing or a steam bubble collapsing.

I've experience a rather large water hammer in 1.5 m pipe header at water production facility. A rather large check valve closed abruptly when the water pumps tripped off. The was a rather large bang and building shook and vibrated.

14. Apr 25, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I bet that made you jump, the boiler at work is good at making such noises, if it cuts out and has cooled the restart is quite scary, the first time i had to restart it i ran for cover.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?