1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Water pump (centrifugal) efficiency, does placement height mater?

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    I am pumping water out of a pond that is being dug with a 30 h.p. centrifugal water pump. I am lifting the water about fifteen feet and discharging it at the same level as the pump. I feel lowering the pump near the water level and pushing the water up the fifteen feet would be more efficient. I'm only interested in flow volume, not pressure. Anybody?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As far as I am aware it makes no difference until the height of the pump above the source reaches about 30 ft. Above that, a vacuum will develop, and atmospheric pressure will not be sufficient to push the water up.

4. May 13, 2016 #3
    I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the notion that a pump that delivers 1500 gallons per minute would continue to pump that amount right up to the point that it couldn't lift any higher at around 30 feet. Wouldn't it slowly diminish in gallons per minute as it began to reach that point? I would tend to think there must be a difference in lifting water, say 20 feet, depending on which level the pump was at, either top or bottom with total push or total vacuum draw.

5. May 13, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As long as the negative suction at the pump intake doesn't cause cavitation, that is correct.

6. May 13, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is correct: the pump performance follows a pressure and flow curve, so it depends on the lift height.

....but that isn't the same question you asked in your first post. For the scenario in your first post, the lift height is fixed.

7. May 13, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not all water pumps can pump air very well - so it might not be able to self prime. That might be an argument for lowing the pump so it's nearer the water.

8. May 13, 2016 #7
    Keeping things very basic, in your application, the higher the total lift (distance from water level to discharge) the lower the flow rate. So in theory at a given lift (15 feet from suction to discharge) the flow rate should be the same regardless of where the pump is placed in that 15 foot range. That may or may not be the case with the particular pump you are using. In reality the design of the pump dictates the required suction pressure (or lift capacity from suction). Things like impeller design, volute design, A and B gaps, etc., all affect required suction pressure. Some pumps can lift if they are liquid full (primed) at startup, some pumps can self-prime, some pumps need flooded suction or even positive pressure at the inlet to prevent cavitation. In your application the best way to ensure maximum flow would be to put the pump close to the water level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted