Wave box with constant amplitude and velocity

In summary, soliton is a wave with constant amplitude and velocity that can be created by carefully matching the shape of the wave with the medium and utilizing the non-linear Kerr effect to cancel out dispersion. John Scott Russell's experiment involving a canal and a barge pulled by horses is an example of creating a soliton. However, creating a soliton can also happen by accident.
s_300tabestan
hello I need to informations about soliton. I know that soliton is a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity. but this datas cannot answer my requirement. piease help me fast.

Physics news on Phys.org

I want to know that how can we creat a soliton wave?
what are the soliton's qualities and effects?

We create a soliton by very carefully matching the shape of the wave with the medium. You've already described it's effects: the shape of the wave does not change as it travels.

Dispersion and non-linearity can interact to produce permanent and localized wave forms. Consider a pulse of light traveling in glass. This pulse can be thought of as consisting of light of several different frequencies. Since glass shows dispersion, these different frequencies will travel at different speeds and the shape of the pulse will therefore change over time. However, there is also the non-linear Kerr effect: the refractive index of a material at a given frequency depends on the light's amplitude or strength. If the pulse has just the right shape, the Kerr effect will exactly cancel the dispersion effect, and the pulse's shape won't change over time: a soliton. See soliton (optics) for a more detailed description.

Bear in mind that the theory of solitons fills a chunk of text-books and may be several lectures in a college course. Can you sort-of narrow down your inquiry a bit?

I read this article in Wikipedia completely but my question is this: how can I create soliton?

Do you know anything about John Scott Russell's experimental?

The article in wikipedia describes how to create a soliton.
Use a non-linear medium, and a wave generator that is very tunable.
Do the math and set up the wave according to the result.

I gave you a specific example using a light-pulse in glass.
Here's one using mechanical waves which should be quite easy for you to do.

For John Russel, the medium was a canal and the wave generator a barge pulled by horses. You can repeat this with a very long water-tank.

They happen by accident all the time.

Related to Wave box with constant amplitude and velocity

What is a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity?

A wave box with constant amplitude and velocity is a theoretical construct used to model the behavior of waves in a specific medium. It assumes that the amplitude (height) and velocity (speed) of the wave remain constant over time and distance.

What is the significance of a constant amplitude and velocity in a wave box?

The assumption of constant amplitude and velocity in a wave box allows for simplified analysis and prediction of wave behavior. It also allows for easier comparison between different types of waves and different mediums.

How is a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity different from a real-world wave?

In reality, waves often experience changes in amplitude and velocity due to factors such as interference, dispersion, and absorption. A wave box with constant amplitude and velocity is a simplified model that does not take these factors into account.

What are the limitations of using a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity?

While a constant amplitude and velocity model can provide useful insights into the behavior of waves, it may not accurately represent real-world phenomena. It also cannot account for more complex wave behaviors such as diffraction and refraction.

How is a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity used in scientific research?

A wave box with constant amplitude and velocity is often used as a starting point for more advanced wave models and theories. It can also be used to analyze and compare different types of waves, as well as to make predictions about wave behavior in certain scenarios.