Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave box with constant amplitude and velocity

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    hello I need to informations about soliton. I know that soliton is a wave box with constant amplitude and velocity. but this datas cannot answer my requirement. piease help me fast.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    Re: soliton

I want to know that how can we creat a soliton wave?
    what are the soliton's qualities and effects?

5. Nov 24, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

We create a soliton by very carefully matching the shape of the wave with the medium. You've already described it's effects: the shape of the wave does not change as it travels.

Dispersion and non-linearity can interact to produce permanent and localized wave forms. Consider a pulse of light traveling in glass. This pulse can be thought of as consisting of light of several different frequencies. Since glass shows dispersion, these different frequencies will travel at different speeds and the shape of the pulse will therefore change over time. However, there is also the non-linear Kerr effect: the refractive index of a material at a given frequency depends on the light's amplitude or strength. If the pulse has just the right shape, the Kerr effect will exactly cancel the dispersion effect, and the pulse's shape won't change over time: a soliton. See soliton (optics) for a more detailed description.

Bear in mind that the theory of solitons fills a chunk of text-books and may be several lectures in a college course. Can you sort-of narrow down your inquiry a bit?

6. Nov 24, 2011 #5

I read this article in Wikipedia completly but my question is this: how can I create soliton?

Do you know anything about John Scott Russell's experimental?

7. Nov 24, 2011 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The article in wikipedia describes how to create a soliton.
    Use a non-linear medium, and a wave generator that is very tunable.
    Do the math and set up the wave according to the result.

I gave you a specific example using a light-pulse in glass.
    Here's one using mechanical waves which should be quite easy for you to do.

For John Russel, the medium was a canal and the wave generator a barge pulled by horses. You can repeat this with a very long water-tank.

They happen by accident all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook