Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave equation in curved spacetime

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know how to derive the wave equation in curved spacetime?
    [tex](-g)^{-1\over 2}\partial_\mu((-g)^{1\over 2}g^{\mu \nu}\partial_\nu \phi) = 0 [/tex]

A reference, or an outline of the derivation would be very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2
    It seems that just writing the d'Alembertian in covariant form
    [tex]\Delta \phi = g^{\mu \nu}\phi_{;\mu \nu}=0[/tex] does the trick.
    This form is giving me the results I want, but I still don't know how to put it in the form written in my original post.

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    Given a vector [itex]V^\mu[/itex], can you think of any cute expressions for [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu[/itex]? (Hint: you can write the covariant four-divergence of a vector in terms of the coordinate four-divergence much like the expression in the first post.)

5. Apr 7, 2008 #4
    Just a guess, but : [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=V^\mu[/itex]?

[addendeum: or is it [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=\frac{\delta V^\mu}{\delta t}[/itex]?]

Regards,

Bill

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  6. Apr 7, 2008 #5
    Nope. That can't work because the left-hand side is a scalar quantity, while the right-hand side is a vector.

Not this either. Perhaps it will be simpler if I just state the result and leave the proof as an exercise. Given an orientable Riemannian manifold [itex](M,g)[/itex], one has a preferred idea of a connection in the form of the Levi-Civita connection. This allows one to define, for example, a straightforward notion of covariant differentiation on tensor fields over [itex]M[/itex]. The relationship between the covariant divergence of a vector and the partial derivative of the vector is given by

[tex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\textrm{det}g_{\rho\sigma}}}\partial_\mu(\sqrt{\textrm{det}g_{\rho\sigma}}V^\mu)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?