Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave formula question

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    Why is the wave formula different in 3-D?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2
    Eh? Because it dependants from four values x,y,z,t and the one dimensional only on two value x,y.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3
    opps~ i think i didn't make myself clear...
    what i meant was why in 3-D does kx become k*r?

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because that's the natural extension. It reduces to one kx in 1D and is rotationally invariant: the predictions does not change by rotating your coordinate axes.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    you can rewrite k*x as k*x=kx*x+ky*y+kz*z where kx, ky and kz are the corresponding wave vectors of x, y and z.

7. Aug 18, 2005 #6
    @@a
    isn't r the radius? what does that have to do with the wave vectors, x, y, z?

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

According to the three-dimensional Pythagorean formula:

[tex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/itex]

Something that might be causing confusion here is that the formula for a three-dimensional wave depends on the "shape" of the wave. For a plane wave (whose maxima form a series of planes marching through space),

[tex]\psi(x, y, z, t) = A \cos (\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t) = A \cos (k_x x + k_y y + k_z z - \omega t)[/tex]

where the [itex]\vec k[/itex] vector and its components are constant.

For a spherical wave (whose maxima form a series of concentric spheres spreading out from a central point, let's say the origin),

[tex]\psi(x, y, z, t) = A \cos (kr - \omega t) = A \cos (k \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} - \omega t)[/tex]

At each point in a spherical wave the [itex]\vec k[/itex] vector points radially outward from the origin, so the direction is different everywhere but the magnitude [itex]k = \sqrt {k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2}[/itex] is constant.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  9. Aug 18, 2005 #8
    so k and r is different depending on the wave's shape?
    how many different kinds of different shapes are there?

10. Aug 18, 2005 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Infinitely many. As many as there are combinations of simple oscillators of different frequency and amplitude.

11. Aug 19, 2005 #10
    thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?