What Are the Dimensions of a Wave Function in Various Box Problems?

In summary, the wave function has dimensions and for 1D and 2D box problems, it is [tex] m^{-2} [tex] and [tex] m^{-1} [tex], respectively. For n dimensions, it should be [tex] m^{n-3} [tex]. However, there is some disagreement on whether the wave function is dimensionless or not, with one poster arguing that it has dimensions of length^-1/2 or length^-1 depending on the dimension of the problem.
armis

Homework Statement

Does the wave function have a dimension? If it does, what are the dimensions for 1D and 2D box problems?Can you generalise this to n dimensions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, it does have dimensions. For 1D box it's [tex] m^{-2} [tex], for 2D box it's [tex] m^{-1} [tex] thus for n dimensions it should be [tex] m^{n-3} [tex]. Is this correct?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has no dimensions. p(r) = |\psi|^2 is the density of the probability of finding a practical in a specific location.

But maybe I'm wrong

a wave function inside a 1 dim box is
[tex]\Psi= \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{px}{\hbar})[/tex]
it appears it is per root meter, which is weird. but on the other hand, the probability in the interval dx is:
[tex] |\Psi|^{2} dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{meter}}^{2}*meter = 1 [/tex]
which would make it dimensionless, which could make sense. I've never asked myself this.

Last edited:
It's not dimensionless. If it were, then when you integrated its square modulus over all space you would not get a pure number. (Note to the second poster - the modulus squared of the wavefunction is not a probability, but a probability density, which had dimensions.). That is, since

[tex]\int_{\rm all space} d\mathbf{r} \left|\psi(\mathbf{r})\right|^2 = 1[/tex]

[itex]\psi(\mathbf{r})[/itex] must accordingly have the root of the inverse dimensions of [itex]d\mathbf{r}[/itex], which are length^{-1/2} for a 1D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dx[/itex]), length^{-1} for a 2D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dxdy[/itex]), etc.

So, the original poster is correct about the wave functions having dimensions, but you got the dimensions incorrect.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. although I did say |psy|^2 is the density of probability.

Mute said:
[itex]\psi(\mathbf{r})[/itex] must accordingly have the root of the inverse dimensions of [itex]d\mathbf{r}[/itex], which are length^{-1/2} for a 1D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dx[/itex]), length^{-1} for a 2D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dxdy[/itex]), etc.

Oh, I see. Thanks

FAQ: What Are the Dimensions of a Wave Function in Various Box Problems?

1. What is a wave function dimension?

A wave function dimension refers to the number of independent variables used to describe a quantum system. It is usually represented by the symbol "n" and determines the number of coordinates needed to describe all possible states of a system.

2. How is the wave function dimension related to the number of particles in a system?

The wave function dimension is directly proportional to the number of particles in a system. For example, a system with 2 particles will have a wave function dimension of 2, while a system with 3 particles will have a wave function dimension of 3.

3. What is the significance of the wave function dimension in quantum mechanics?

The wave function dimension is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics as it determines the complexity of a system and the number of possible outcomes. It also plays a role in determining the probability of a particle's position and momentum in a system.

4. Can the wave function dimension change in a quantum system?

Yes, the wave function dimension can change depending on the state of a system. For example, if a particle's spin is measured, the wave function's dimension will change from 3 to 2 as the possible spin states are reduced.

5. How does the wave function dimension affect the behavior of particles in a system?

The wave function dimension determines the number of possible states and outcomes for particles in a system. A higher wave function dimension means more possible states and outcomes, while a lower dimension means a more restricted behavior for the particles. This has a significant impact on the behavior and properties of the system as a whole.