1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function dimensions

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the wave function have a dimension? If it does, what are the dimensions for 1D and 2D box problems?Can you generalise this to n dimensions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Yes, it does have dimensions. For 1D box it's [tex] m^{-2} [tex], for 2D box it's [tex] m^{-1} [tex] thus for n dimensions it should be [tex] m^{n-3} [tex]. Is this correct?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    I think it has no dimensions. p(r) = |\psi|^2 is the density of the probability of finding a practical in a specific location.

But maybe i'm wrong

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3
    a wave function inside a 1 dim box is
    [tex]\Psi= \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{px}{\hbar})[/tex]
    it appears it is per root meter, which is weird. but on the other hand, the probability in the interval dx is:
    [tex] |\Psi|^{2} dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{meter}}^{2}*meter = 1 [/tex]
    which would make it dimensionless, which could make sense. ive never asked myself this.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. Jun 22, 2008 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

It's not dimensionless. If it were, then when you integrated its square modulus over all space you would not get a pure number. (Note to the second poster - the modulus squared of the wavefunction is not a probability, but a probability density, which had dimensions.). That is, since

[tex]\int_{\rm all space} d\mathbf{r} \left|\psi(\mathbf{r})\right|^2 = 1[/tex]

[itex]\psi(\mathbf{r})[/itex] must accordingly have the root of the inverse dimensions of [itex]d\mathbf{r}[/itex], which are length^{-1/2} for a 1D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dx[/itex]), length^{-1} for a 2D problem ([itex]d\mathbf{r} = dxdy[/itex]), etc.

So, the original poster is correct about the wave functions having dimensions, but you got the dimensions incorrect.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
    I stand corrected. although I did say |psy|^2 is the density of probability.

7. Jun 22, 2008 #6
    Oh, I see. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?