The Significance of the Hermition Conjugate in Wave Functions

In summary, a wave function for a particle is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of measurement outcomes. The hermitian conjugate of the wave function is a way to calculate the square of the magnitude of the wave function, which represents the probability density. Complex conjugation has to do with the time-reversal transformation and is realized as an anti-unitary operator. In the relativistic case, the conjugated wavefunction may be related to the antiparticle. At the lay level, the wave function is a device used to describe the quantum state and calculate probabilities of observation outcomes. However, it is still a complicated concept and there is no clear understanding of what it actually represents.
deependra1003
Suppose there is a wave function for a particle. What is the actual meaning of hermition conjugate of the wave function? Does the conjugate represent any other state of the wave function? What is the physical meaning of product of wave function and its conjugate? Please explain.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
deependra1003 said:
Suppose there is a wave function for a particle. What is the actual meaning of hermition conjugate of the wave function? Does the conjugate represent any other state of the wave function? What is the physical meaning of product of wave function and its conjugate? Please explain.
Thanks in advance.

Different people have different ways of thinking about this stuff, but it may be safest (that is, least likely to mislead you) if think of the entire mathematical formalism as just a machine for calculating stuff with no physical significance of its own. I can use a calculator to calculate the kinetic energy of a moving object, but I don't ask how the calculator keys might be related to the object.

Likes bhobba
deependra1003 said:
What is the physical meaning of product of wave function and its conjugate?

This is just a convenient way of calculating the square of the magnitude of the wave function, which is the probability density.

If you have a wave function ##\psi(t,\vec{x})## as the solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, you can easily show that the conjugate function solves the conjugate Schrödinger equation, but the conjugate Schrödinger equation looks pretty much like the Schrödinger equation, except that the sign of the term with the time derivative changes, because of the ##\mathrm{i}## in front of it. The Schrödinger equation reads
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t \psi(t,\vec{x})=\hat{H} \psi(t,\vec{x})=\left [-\frac{\Delta}{2m}+V(\vec{x}) \right ] \psi(t,\vec{x}).$$
Now take the conjugate complex of this equation. The only change is the sign on the left side of the equation and that the conjugate wave function occurs:
$$-\mathrm{i} \partial_t \psi^*(t,\vec{x})=\left [-\frac{\Delta}{2m}+V(\vec{x}) \right ] \psi^*(t,\vec{x}).$$
This shows that complex conjugation has to do with the "time-reversal transformation", because the changed sign in front of the time derivative can be interpreted as following the time evolution backwards. Indeed, it's immediately clear from the equation, that the solution of the complex conjugate equation is not a solution of the original Schrödinger equation, but obviously ##\psi^*(-t,\vec{x})## is.

Indeed, it turns out that the time-reversal transformation is realized as an anti-unitary operator rather than a unitary one. For details, see a good QT textbook, e.g., Sakurai&Napolitano.

deependra1003 said:
Does the conjugate represent any other state of the wave function?
In the relativistic case, the conjugated wavefunction is sometimes related to the antiparticle.

what is wave function actually. i don't get a clear view

kaushikquanta said:

Its the expansion of the state in terms of position eigenstates.

If you don't know the technicalities then the above is likely gibberish - but unfortunately this is one area that can't be explained in lay terms.

At the lay level simply look at it as a way of describing the quantum state that emphasises position measurements.

That still leaves open what is a state. In lay terms its simply a device that allows us to calculate the probabilities of the outcomes of observations.

Thanks
Bill

kaushikquanta said:

A whole lot of very complicated math. :wink:

Likes bhobba
kaushikquanta said:

1. There is no clear view. It is a meaningless thing that we use to calculate the probabilities of measurement outcomes.

2. However, we make no mistake if we pretend that it is the complete state of a single quantum system.

1. What is the hermitian conjugate in wave functions?

The hermitian conjugate in wave functions is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of a wave function and then transposing it. It is represented by the symbol † and is used to calculate the expectation values of quantum mechanical operators.

2. Why is the hermitian conjugate important in wave functions?

The hermitian conjugate is important because it allows us to calculate the expectation values of operators, which are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It also ensures that the probability of a particle being in a certain state is always positive, as it is squared in the calculation.

3. How is the hermitian conjugate related to the adjoint operator?

The hermitian conjugate is closely related to the adjoint operator, which is the complex conjugate of the operator and then transposed. The adjoint operator is used to calculate the expectation values of quantum mechanical operators, just like the hermitian conjugate. However, the two are not always equal, and the hermitian conjugate is only defined for operators that are hermitian.

4. Can the hermitian conjugate be applied to any wave function?

No, the hermitian conjugate can only be applied to wave functions that are square-integrable, meaning their probability amplitude is finite. Additionally, the operator itself must be hermitian for the hermitian conjugate to be defined.

5. How is the hermitian conjugate used in quantum mechanics?

The hermitian conjugate is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the expectation values of operators, which are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It is also used in the Schrödinger equation to find the time evolution of a system, as well as in other mathematical operations such as the inner product and the commutator.